Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Quiet Pump
    Hi there, I am in need of a quiet 3/4 HP pool pump. Please, recommend brand, model.

Have 18K gln pool, pool equipment is located 12' away connected with 2" PVC plumbing all the way with only 2 - 90 degree turns. Return: 2" PVC with 6 - 1" return jets.

My equipment is against my neighbor's wall. I am looking for pump that operates quietly so it doesn't disturb them.

Thank you and appreciate your advice. Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2009, 07:28 PM

You might want to consider doing your own soundproofing http://www.esoundproof.com/Screens/A.../PoolPump.aspx Hayward makes some fairly quiet models but the soundproofing does even more.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 09:25 AM

FYI: I purchased and installed "WhisperFlow" pump by Pentair. The "Whisper" should be taken out of that name. Pump certainly doesn't Whisper but is very noisy :-)
    ALZ1 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    FYI: I purchased and installed "WhisperFlow" pump by Pentair. The "Whisper" should be taken out of that name. Pump certainly doesn't Whisper but is very noisy :-)

If the bearings were damaged/installed wrong from the get go, could make it noisy. Once the are replaced, you can tell the difference. May not be the motor.

Diffuser:
    Whisperflo pumps (and some others) have a separate diffuser (not built into the housing) that covers the impeller, there are 2 set screws there to hold it on. If it is loose it will rattle.

It also has a o-ring at the other end of the difusser going into the pump basket area, if missing could possibly cause even more rattling if set screws are loose also.

I would take it back and tell them. See what they say. Maybe swap it out for another whisperflo.

They really are quite.

By design, a square flanged motor like what you have will be quiter.

If you do the sound barrier, heed there warning about the heat issues it can create.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quiet Title [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a piece Of property through a tax deed sale, HOW do we apply for a "quiet Title" in the State of Florida? Can this be done without a lawyer? Also, we found out there is a Code Enforcement fine against the property, not the person that was the owner of the land, can we be held...

When men are quiet [ 16 Answers ]

When men are too shy to speak. They show an obvious interest in a woman. They do not speak to you unless you start the conversation first. The response thereafter is almost monosyllabic but not deliberate as they are obviously just quiet. They show annoyance or frustration when you ignore them or...

Quiet kid [ 6 Answers ]

Why my kid doesn't speak and interact with others?

Its too quiet [ 5 Answers ]

So I just got this new boyfriend last Saturday, and I really like himm, but when were together he doesn't say anything I try to start a conversation all the time but it doesn't last... how do I get himm too talk

My dog is too quiet [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: we have a miniature dachshund that is 1 year old. He is usually very active but just recently he was said to have fleas. Now he is unusually quite and just not himself. He sleeps a lot and is not as active as usual(doesnt want to go for walks, play(etc.) We took him to the vet and took...

View more questions Search