Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbonewitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Cobra eligibility
    If an employee quits due to a reduction in salary (not hours) is he eligible for cobra?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2009, 02:38 PM

Any employee who terminates is eligible.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
    I believe this is valid only if you hand in a 2 week notice or better...

*** reference to other question and answer site deleted***

When you leave a job they are required to offer you COBRA... this is something you would have to pay for to keep your insurance... when I quit my job early June I was covered up until the first day of July and then it was up to me to get COBRA or just have no insurance for me an my family.. each job is different and you might be able to work something out with your HR dept.but my advice is to find another job 1st that offers health ins. And then make the switch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2009, 04:51 PM

There are certain qualifying events that must be met like reduction in hours but not for reduction in salary. However, anyone who quits or is fired, except for gross misconduct, is eligible. Here a quote from my manual,"The qualifying event requirement is satisfied if the event is (1) the death of a covered employee; (2) the termination (other than by reason of the employee's gross misconduct), or a reduction of hours, of a covered employee's employment; (3) the divorce or legal separation of a covered employee from the employee's spouse; (4) a covered employee becoming entitled to Medicare benefits under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act; or (5) a dependent child ceasing to be a dependent child of the covered employee under the generally applicable requirements of the plan and a loss of coverage occurs."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2009, 05:09 PM

Yes you should

COBRA Insurance
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

May 28, 2009, 04:55 PM
    COBRA eligibility depends on the size of the company and/or the state the company is based in.
    COBRA is a federal regulation for companies with 20 or more FTE employees. Many states have adopted similar regs for groups of 2-19. Meeting one of those criteria anyone losing coverage is eligible for COBRA. With the exception for gross misconduct.
    While you probably will be eligible for COBRA you will not be eligible for the 65% ARRA premium assistance for COBRA benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

COBRA Coverage [ 3 Answers ]

My employment ended with my company on 7/25/08, and my insurance ends on 7/31/08. I do not start my new job until 8/4/08. So I have a 4 day gap in coverage. Do I need to sign up for COBRA in advance? Or can I sign up retroactively, if something happens during this 4 day period?

Cobra more than once? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone have been on Cobra continuation coverage for the maximum period of eligibility (18months), then become insured with a new employer, retire, and be eligible for a brand new 18 month period of Cobra benefit coverage under the new employer's plan?

Cobra eligibility [ 5 Answers ]

The company I was working with was closed. The health plan was terminated. I have pre-conditions sucha as high blood pressure so I'm not eligible for an individual health plan. Am I eligible for COBRA? What option do I have other than a group plan?

How long must one be on a group plan for COBRA eligibility? [ 3 Answers ]

Do COBRA regulations specify how long an employee must be on their specific group plan before becoming eligible for COBRA? Or is this determined by individual states? Is the COBRA benefit only available for 18 months?

COBRA Eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to quit my existing job where I Have been for 8 months and have medical insurance can I elect COBRA continuation even though I have only been there 8 months?

View more questions Search