Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Noise Complaints
    I'm just wondering can you file some kind of charges against neighbors that are always making noise? We have called police before, as have other neighbors in our apartment building and the cops come out, tell them to keep it down and a day or 2 later they are at it again.

These people play music so loud it can drown out my own TV inside my own apartment. They are often standing around in the hallway yelling and arguing and someone considers themselves to be a drummer cause every now and then someone in that apartment bangs on the walls in time with the music.

Is there some sort of "more formal" complaint I can make against these people so they get a fine or something more serious happens? This is in Montreal, Canada. We really love the building and the area we live in and don't want to have to move.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

Most places laws are that people can make noise during certain hours.
    I take it you live in an apartment complex so you can get a petition going and take it to the landlord.
    You can call the police during noise in the middle of the night.
    You can get all the neighbors to play some music really loud where they can't stand it.
    Like agree on some station that plays opera and agree to all play it loud at 5 pm on June 1.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

Yeah, maybe a petition would be good but honestly I doubt the landlord would care, it's a company that owns it not a guy who lives in the building.

I think at the most, even if they cared the most the landlord would do is just not renew his lease next year.

I'm looking for ways to resolve the problem using the legal system, around here a complaint for disturbing the peace can be filed at any hour but after 2 complaints (from us, and at least 1 from someone else that we know of) nothing has changed.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 01:46 PM

Yeah when they get called on several times a day the police should take it more serious and give them a citation but often they don't.

If the cop lived next door I bet something would change.

I have even known of police to give the people that call the citation for calling too many times on the same problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Complaints to INS [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My alleged husband deceived me in marrying him in 1996 when he has an existing family in another country. I was petitioned by my parents here in US. I married him thinking that he cares for me. Now, I have 3 kids with him and I found out about his other family. He is now a US citizen. Can I...

Occupational complaints [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I need help with paralegal class

Occupational complaints [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why "new collar" worker would not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing? What might be...

Occupational Complaints [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing some research on occupational complaints that service workers have and I am having trouble finding that out can someone give me some help?

View more questions Search