Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Another Judge wanting to legislate from the bench
    President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.. .

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life,” said Judge Sotomayor.
    She is for legislating fromt the bench and
    If she can make a statement like this it sounds to me like she will be biased against the white male AND maybe this would also mean that she can not reach a better conclusion for the white male whose life she has not lived.

Also isn't it something how the left can pick up on racism until it is their own?
    Like what if a white male had said
    “I would hope that a wise white male with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a wise Latina woman who hasn't lived that life,”
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 27, 2009, 09:59 AM

I concur Madam Nohelp. I understand that the point is to get a plural panel so that the many different experiences can lead to the best decision. The problem is that with most people, the thoughts of feelings of one overshadow the many. I am afraid that this will become the same with Sotomayer. Being a white male, it seems I get attacked from so many angles, I am not sure if any part of the world is my friend-especially my government. Let us hope that justice is truly blind.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
    I look forward to her confirmation hearing when she is obliged to defend her postions on race, quotas,and her opinion that the courts make policy .
    Then in 2010 the theme 'elections have consequences 'will be demonstrably illustrated in this pick.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:17 PM

I guess it is OK for a minority to use race but not a white American citizen huh? Her decisions are so far on the left when it comes to race it is not even funny.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 04:20 PM

Oh, you poor white fellas. A black President and now a Latin judge. You must feel so down trodden and discarded. But please be strong through these dark times.

No pun intended...
    Dare81 Posts: 264, Reputation: 44

May 27, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    I guess it is OK for a minority to use race but not a white American citizen huh? her decisions are so far on the left when it comes to race it is not even funny.
    Sotomayor was nominated to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York by President George H. W. Bush in 1991 and confirmed in 1992.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:56 PM

Hello N0:

I'll just repeat what I told tom.

Yesterday, the Supreme Court rolled back limits on questioning of suspects... Scalia writing for the majority said the previous ruling was overturned because its "marginal benefits are dwarfed by its substantial costs" in that some guilty defendants go free.

I don't know. I read the Bill of Rights. I don't find anything in there about "costs and/or benefits". He made it up out of whole cloth. In fact, this ruling is judicial activism on steroids!

You don't think so, of course, because the empathy Scalia and the right wingers have is for the COPS!!

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee. . . .

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” said Judge Sotomayor.
    She is for legislating fromt the bench and
    if she can make a statement like this it sounds to me like she will be biased against the white male AND maybe this would also mean that she can not reach a better conclusion for the white male whose life she has not lived.

Also isn't it something how the left can pick up on racism until it is their own?
    Like what if a white male had said
    “I would hope that a wise white male with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a wise Latina woman who hasn’t lived that life,”

I thought each individual case is to be judged based on its merits and not based on the judge's "richness of experience?" Is justice blind if the judge bases cases on their own background?

G&P
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 03:46 AM

My response to the Scalia decision found here #18
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...-357986-2.html
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jun 3, 2009, 11:32 AM

"All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people out there with court of appeals experience, because court of appeals is where policy is made. And I know, I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don't make law, I know. I know. "
    ---Judge Sonia Sotomayor, 2005, Dicussion Panel at Duke University Law School.

Yes, I'd say based on this quote that she intends to legislate from the bench, and she isn't even prepared to hide that fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bench warrant [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be arrested @ the secretary of state for a warrant if I'm applying for a state i.d.

How has the government government legislate morality? [ 4 Answers ]

How has the government government legislate morality?

Girlfriend went from wanting the relationship to not wanting anything so serious [ 11 Answers ]

A little confused right now, because we've been in a relationship for 4 months now and she is just now saying she doesn't want a serious relationship now, because she doesn't want to have to be completely committed to a relationship 24/7. Saying that she would like to be able to have time to do...

Bench Warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that was sent to prison for 5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. He was offered 2 years but decided to go for the jury trial. After the trial he was convicted to 5 years. (He had a terrible court appointed attorney that did absolutely nothing to help him.) He...

View more questions Search