Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhanna1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Moon phases
    I always thought the different 'phases' of the moon was caused by the earth's shadow on it. This made sense when looking at the 1st quarter, but as the moon 'gets bigger' the visible part is no longer crecent shaped. Where am I going wrong in my thinking?
    [email protected]
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Here are a few sites that explain it well:
    http://www.hometrainingtools.com/art...ching-tip.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_phases
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Oct 4, 2006, 06:24 PM
    I remember a do-it-yourself, at-home demonstration that is excellent at showing why the moon has phases. You need a round ball, a flashlight, and a dark room.

O Set the flashlight on a shelf, at approximately eye level, and turn it on. This is the sun.
    O Stand in the beam of the flashlight. Your head is the earth.
    O Hold the ball out at arm's length. That's the moon.

Turn in circles on the spot, keeping the ball in front of your face at arm's length. The moon moves around the earth in its orbit. Observe how the shape of the lighted portion of the moon changes, depending on the angle between the earth, the moon, and the sun.

If you get the angles right, you can even show why solar and lunar eclipses happen, in a demonstration simple enough for a child to understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Harvest Moon [ 2 Answers ]

Sup. Id just like to know how to actually plant seeds on 'Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life' for gamecube. Any help would be great. Cheers Rost :rolleyes:

Questions about the moon? [ 17 Answers ]

I am doing a research project on the moon and need to receive answers from an expert. If you know a lot about astronomy please give me your opinion on these questions, even if you are not an expert it will help me to survey what people know about the moon. What is the future of moon exploration?...

Harvest Moon [ 8 Answers ]

I played Harvest Moon once on PS2, but I now have an XBox. Does anyone know of a game that is similar to Harvest Moon that I can play on XBox? Because as far as I know, it's not available on XBox. Thanks! :)

Full Moon Effect [ 19 Answers ]

I don't know if this belongs under folklore or astronomy LOL so please bear with me. I know I have heard that Emergency Rooms experience a measurable upsurge around a full moon. My office seems to get a lot more than the usual weirdness then too. I am wondering do other people or businesses feel...

Blue Moon [ 2 Answers ]

I've been trying to find out who owns the yacht Blue Moon since it was featured in a TV documentary.

View more questions Search