Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rnmoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
    How do you elope?
    How do you elope? How is it done? I hear of people doing it, I just don't know the steps. My fiancé and I are in our fifties. We just want to keep things simple. How is it done?
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 26, 2009, 06:54 PM

How to Elope | eHow.com

How to Elope
    By eHow Weddings Editor

Getting married is about you and your soon-to-be spouse. So why would you spend thousands of dollars to entertain the in-laws? Eloping can be impetuous and special without the traditional trappings of a wedding. Elope if you are looking to get away from it all, or save yourself from extra expenses and stress (you'll have enough of that when you have kids!).

Difficulty: EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:
    Marriage license
    Plane tickets
    Witnesess
    Chapel
    Hotel
    Minister

Step 1
    Decide if eloping is right for you. There are pros and cons to eloping. The main drawback is that you may hurt the feelings of your close family members if they are not invited. Also, there is something to be said for all the planning and the ceremony and getting dressed up and having professional pictures done--you may appreciate the memories when you are older.

Step 2
    Find a venue. Las Vegas is a popular place to elope and you'll find tons of chapels on the Internet. But if Vegas seems sleazy to you, you might want to look into resorts. Be sure to check the rules for each place, such as if you can write your own ceremony, bring your own photographer or bring friends.

Step 3
    Get a marriage license. Marriage license laws vary state-by-state, but you should still follow some basic guidelines. Get your license at least a week or two in advance from your wedding date. Bring your ID, social security number (or if not a citizen, a translated and certified birth certificate), and documentation proving that any previous marriages are over to the county clerk. You will also need witnesses.

Step 4
    Plan a honeymoon. Kick off your marriage right! Plan a destination for you and your new spouse after the ceremony.

Step 5
    Book your travel. Buy airplane tickets and book reservations as soon as possible to save money.

Step 6
    Get married. Bring your license with you and anything else you need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:46 PM

You have to be married in the same state where you get your license, so if you fly to vegas you can't get your license till you get there.

Same in all states, ( in the US)

But you basically decide where you want to get married, make arrangements for the license, and go, some places have wedding chapels

I do weddings on location here in Atlanta, Six Flags is popular
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 27, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You have to be married in the same state where you get your license, so if you fly to vegas you can't get your license till you get there.

Same in all states, ( in the US)

But you basicly decide where you want to get married, make arrangements for the license, and go, some places have wedding chapels

I do weddings on location here in Atlanta, Six Flags is popular

To clearify my info I found and corrected actual author of the elopes steps I put steps 2 and 3 in reverse order so that they would be more clear.

Step 2
    Find a venue. Las Vegas is a popular place to elope and you'll find tons of chapels on the Internet. But if Vegas seems sleazy to you, you might want to look into resorts. Be sure to check the rules for each place, such as if you can write your own ceremony, bring your own photographer or bring friends.

Step 3
    Get a marriage license. Marriage license laws vary state-by-state, but you should still follow some basic guidelines. Get your license at least a week or two in advance from your wedding date. Bring your ID, social security number (or if not a citizen, a translated and certified birth certificate), and documentation proving that any previous marriages are over to the county clerk. You will also need witnesses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search