Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treborcivic Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Trans swap honda civic EK3
    Hi there , I just swapped a manual trans into a Honda civic EK 3 which earlier was automatic . Do I need to put the gearlight on park to start the car . And does the VTEC react on park when driving the car ?
    RandomSomeone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 10:51 PM
    Yes you need to engage in 'P' mode before you start the engine. No the VTEC is only activated in high revs.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 07:18 AM

The VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) Solenoid is activated by high oil pressure, when the engine is operating at high rpm. When this happens, high oil pressure causes a pin to slide into position on each cylinder's set of intake valves. Both valves then move as a unit. This substantially increases air intake and horsepower (i.e. torque x rpm/5252).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Civic DX Auto Trans Idle Issue [ 3 Answers ]

I just got allot of work done on my Honda (new battery, tune-up, oil change, frans flush, radiator flush, ect). The car sat for a while with a broken axel, and drum. All this work is complete, but my question is this. What would cause the idle to stick (I think between 1.5K and 2k.. I have no...

Honda civic swap to b18b won't start without starting fluid and sometimes stop running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 92 honda civic dx that was swapped to a 94 b18b. The car ran fine for about 2 years and then started having startup problem. It doesn't matter when the engine is hot or cold, most of the time I have to use a starting fluid to get it start. Some time while driving, the car would just...

Honda Civic head job or engine swap? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, all I had my Honda Civic 96 overheated a little and I got coolant leaking from the driver's side from under the cylinder head. I wanted to do a head gasket replacement and head resurfacing, but some people do not recommend doing that because, as they say, there is a chance that block...

1990 honda civic dx hxbk w/91 CRX Si eng. Swap won't start [ 1 Answers ]

A few days ago my car started acting funny when I tried to start it. It was acting as if the battery didn't have enough juice to crank the motor. I let it sit for 15 seconds, tried again, and was on my way. It did the same thing a few more times and finally on Tuesday wouldn't start at all. I'm...

94 civic auto trans problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I don't know much about cars. I recently bought a 94 honda civic dx with automatic transmission, it has 44,000 miles but I don't believe those. I'm having issues speeding up and when gears change I get a kick. I feel that something is definitely wrong with the transmission. Any ideas what in...

View more questions Search