Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dreamer223 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
    How Do I Calm My Dog Down?
    I just got a kitten today and ever since we took her out of the cat carrier in the car my dog will not stop barking, whining, jumping and chasing at the kitten. She will not leave it alone at all! My kitten is TERRIFIED!! How do I get my dog to stop and just calm down?? :confused::confused:
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 26, 2009, 07:50 PM

What kind of dog?
    I recommend keeping them in separate rooms at leaste for now. You can use a baby gate to prevent the dog from getting into the kitty's area.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 08:04 PM

Yep, doggie gets a timeout. A closed door if you have to. Eventually doggie is allowed to see (children's gate).
    Then eventually supervised. You also need to be firm with the dog and say NO! And grab at the neck like momie dog might do and then put him in another room.

Kiddie will need somewhere where it can go to be safe from the dog AT ALL TIMES even when kitty becomes a cat. Pet stores have something.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 02:45 AM

You can't just put a kitten in a room and expect the dog to get along with it straight away...

You need to introduce them slowly but unfortunately if the dog has alreay been chasing the kitten a fair bit of damamge may have already been done.

When introducing a new pet into the household you need to keep them in separate rooms so they can't see each other for at least a day or two.
    This will get them used to each others smell.

After a few days you can introduce them via a grate or wire separation across a doorway.
    This way they can see each other but they cannot chase or scare each other, the dog will more than probably sit at the grate so put his bed in the doorway.
    When the kitten gets used to the dog it will come up to the grate on it's own to investigate.

Once they have both calmed down and have gotten used to each others presence you can introduce them together without the wire...

Make sure you have some boxes small enough for the kitten to get into but the dog cannot.
    High kitten scrtching poles are also great as th kitten can jump up onto them away from the dog.

It is possible for them to ge along, you just need to do everything slowly.
    cwomach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    I wrote a blog post called <a href="http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/calm-dog/">How to calm a dog down</a> The basic principles of this would be able to be applied with some modifications to your situation. Check it out.
    cwomach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 01:23 PM

Oops.. this will be easier How To Calm A Dog Down
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 01:29 PM

I would introduce them slowly.

You need to have the kitty in a towel so she won't scratch you and someone holding the dog.

Very calmly bring them near one another and give the dog a treat when he sees her.Only allow a few seconds together.

Separate them.

Next day do the same thing,give a treat to the dog and separate.

Eventually ,after a week or so the dog will have a different association with the kitty.

It is a behavior modification technique.

I have seen it work but you must be patient.

It is important to give the treat when the dog is calm.He gets the message if you are nice to kitty ,you get rewarded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I calm down my puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have an adorable 4 month old chihuahua x jack russell called meg. I love her but at night she never settles down. I've tried massages, exercise and yawning at her. I need some help ?

School is almost here and I need something to calm me down [ 8 Answers ]

I'm freaking so badly. :( This is my last year in middle school so I'm freaking about how when 8th grade is over I'm going to high school. Another reason is mostly because my classes are advance and are very hard and they'll be time consuming and I'm very slow at learing thingss so I'm afarid...

I need calm nerves! [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I'm going on a casting call tommarrow for a raymour & flannigan commercial but, I'm EXTREMELY nervous. PLEASE help me calm my nerves! I'm great with everything like knowing my lines, but once I get in front of everyone, I forget. HELP?

When do lads calm down [ 9 Answers ]

I understand its probably normal for guys in their 20s to have high sex drives, but when do they calm down, and I don't mean not wanting sex as I'm sure that's never, but surely they can't go on until their dead thinking of sex all the time. Are they ever just happy with love makign or does it...

How to calm down my dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.

View more questions Search