Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 01:05 PM

ye = you/your

shalt = Shall/will

hath = has

hope this answers your question
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 08:21 PM

Is there any interesting word except thou shalt not in the king james bible ?

Any with sauch powerful meaning ?

Pick any .
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 11:25 PM

The F word is the most powerful and versatile in the English language today. F.U.C.K used to be attached to your door if you were fornicating legally. Fornication Under the Consent of the King was what it meant.

That's sad. Permission was "granted" for that? Okay I guess, now we use marriage licenses. Is fornication still illegal?

These days, the F. word has so many uses! It can be an expletive, a noun, a transitive verb, a non-transitive verb, an adverb a pronoun, an expression of joy or intense sorrow, it can indicate worry... How it is used in a sentence and the tone of voice used give it more meanings than... Oh, but it is not to be used, kind-of like sex.

Sorry, what was your question? I'm in left field again.
    Blackkdark Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2009, 07:26 AM

OKAY, SIMON, no. SO very much no.

Does not come from there. In fact that's something we historical linguists call "Folk" etymology. Someone comes up with a legend and that gets passed one. First of all, they never needed permission to have sex. No culture or nation has ever had that. What era is this one supposed to be? The history I know involves people having sex all over the place and wandering around naked, especially during most of the history of England. Check, "A World Lit Only By Fire" as a source.

The other reasons this is true is because it has cognates in other languages, which usually means it has a common root and doesn't come from that at all. It also had various spellings suck as fukkit, which is not something that happens with acronyms. Also almost NO acronyms from the past are passed down.

It's in other Germanic dialects, like fukka and focka in Norwegian and Swedish respectively (they didn't have the negative connotations we have for today). It's also in German (ficken) and Middle Dutch (fokken). And Futuere, unrelated, is the Latin word. Basically, Simon, whoever fed you that, was either fed a lie him/herself or made it up. Look it up:
    Online Etymology Dictionary

If you want to know the real histories and facts, do some research first. Popular words like that are bound to have lots of folk etymologies.

Jul 2, 2009, 07:31 AM

Well, I don't have a King James Bible. I can tell you what era it's written in, it's written in the Early Modern English Era, similar to Shakespeare. It was written after the Great Vowel Shift, which was the process of long vowels raising, and the highest ones becoming diphthongs. Short vowels stayed the same, and thus things got all mixed after that. That's why our vowel system is so crazy, but we decided to maintain historical spellings instead of changing it like the Germans.

The King James bible isn't as interesting as similar texts in Old and Middle English.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks Blackkdark. Perpetuating rumors isn't my intention, ever. There's a lot of misinformation isn't there?

Jul 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Thanks Blackkdark. Perpetuating rumors isn't my intention, ever. There's a lot of misinformation isn't there?
    Yeah, Definitely. That's how the whole genre of folk etymology came about. It's fine to read the rumors, but you should definitely find something's that back them up. I heard a similar thing with Picnic, being from a racial thing meaning "pick a nigger" to lynch. I looked it up, found out that it comes from a French word "piquenique" meaning something completely different.

Now if you have any questions about English or other languages, feel free to ask me.

Jul 6, 2009, 08:35 AM

Robby or robbie ? What is write spelling in north part of england ?

Jul 6, 2009, 09:13 AM

It's not just in England, it's actually throughout the English language. People in America vary those two often in names. Outside of names there isn't much variation except in so-called "slang" such as hottie vs. hotty, or hippy vs. hippie.

Historically speaking, the ending as in words like weary came from the -ig ending (pronounced the same or like eey). In Old English, the spellings y, i.e. and I were actually interchangeable. The word for they, for example, was híe, hý, or hí, or is, ys, and rarely ies, for the word "is." Because of these spelling variations, it could have lead to different variations up until the Early Modern Era, which still had spelling variations (look at originate Shakespeare texts and tell me if they are spelt like you normally see them). And the names are few things that preserve this.

Jul 6, 2009, 09:32 AM

Sir or mister blackkdark ? If I do not know you real identity .

Jul 6, 2009, 09:55 AM

My name is T. Patrick Snyder. You can call me Patrick.

Jul 10, 2009, 08:13 AM

My name is domagoj . Patrick is domagoj in croatian .

If I use sir for a man what shell I say for a woman ?

Jul 10, 2009, 09:30 AM

Well, generally speaking, if you talk to a woman formally like that, you would us "ma'am" or "miss" (if they're younger) and you may hear the French term "madame" and more bluntly "lady."

And Domagoj means (not patrick) what does the word in it's origin mean?

Jul 13, 2009, 01:01 AM

dom = home

patria = homeland

that is croatian version of patrick . My name day is 17 . 3 according to catolic ccalendar .

Jul 13, 2009, 05:38 AM

I heard that somewhere exist english dictionary with 1.000.000 words . Is that correct ?

And where can I buy it ?

Jul 13, 2009, 08:02 AM

Okay, first of all. Patrick doesn't come from Patria.

Patrick comes from the Latin word Patricus, meaning Nobleman. In turn it's also related to the Latin (and indo-European root) Pater, meaning father. In fact, Patria, means Fatherland, which also shows this root. But Patrick might be related to Patria indirectly, but directly, they aren't really even close. That means the names aren't the same.

I don't know if it has a million entries, but the largest English dictionary that I know of is the Oxford English dictionary. I don't have a copy because it's very expensive, but it only has about 300,000 entries.

Jul 14, 2009, 12:43 AM

One of my friends love rap music and he wants to speak ebonic . Are you good in ebonic ?

Does it exist ebonic dictionary ?

Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 AM

Actually, the term linguists use today is African American Variety of English, or Have. The name of this "dialect" has been changed several times over the last century or so.

Yes, there are dictionaries for 'ebonics' and Have but if your friend is not black, then there is a good change it will come off more offensive than anything. Like all dialects/languages a speaker can learn it naturally, regardless of race. However, culturally speaking often times non-blacks who speak Have are often stigmatised. It's kind of sad, but true.

Being a white person, I don't speak Have naturally, and as a linguist, I use other weird patterns as it is.

But is there a dictionary for it? Yes, there usually is, though I'd recommend a grammar more, since that's where the interesting stuff is.

Jul 15, 2009, 05:26 AM

I usually speak rp but people around me say that it sound like homosexual person .

How oxford university press rp sound to you ?

Watch Live Online TV Channels - Bbc world - Live News

Jul 15, 2009, 06:01 AM

Well, British RP has various degrees, and it could be a combination of your original accent with the RP, but it might be a lot of things.

In the states, we usually have an association with the accents found in San Francisco as the stereo-typical albeit more than often inaccurate sound of homosexuals. Often the stereo-type involves having a lisp, which ironically is the reverse situation in Greece.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search