Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cindyruu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Ceiling Fan 4 lights - 2 not working
    I bought an older house last week. All four bulbs in the ceiling fan were working. I removed the globes to wash them and when I put them back in, two out of the four light sockets are not working.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:11 AM

Try switching bulbs to see if you accidentally jarred the bulbs too much and broke the filament.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 26, 2009, 07:44 AM

Make sure your fan/light is off. A lot of times when you take a bulb out of a socket that has been in for a long time the center tab in the bottom of the socket will not spring back out to make contact with the bulb when you screw it back in. Take something like a screwdriver and carefully pull the tab up a little so that the end of the bulb will make contact with it when you screw it back in.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:21 PM

Check the bulbs, check the pullchain. Report back if those don't fix it.

The tab thing is also a good idea, but MAKE SURE the power is off.

May 28, 2009, 05:05 AM
    Jerro:
    Thanks for the informative response. Of course I had already tried changing bulbs, pulling chains, etc. before posting my problem. Your answer seems to be the best and I had heard somewhere else that the tab thing could be a problem. Fortunately my circuit breaker box is about 4 feet from the fixture, so I'll be able to flip the breaker before attempting the pull.
    Thank You!
    CindyRuu
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 10:37 PM

Let us know if it works.

Jun 1, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Evidently, I have a MUCH nicer ceiling fan than I have ever seen before. I turned off the electricity, and pulled out the tabs. They are a bit delicate and I was worried I'd break them but luckily it went well. I put the bulbs back in, turned on the electricity and voilą! The two bulbs were still not working.
    So I pulled the chain in the center of the fan and those two bulbs went out and the other two came one. One more pull and they were all on! There are three settings to this fan - two on, two off; the other two on and the other two off; and all on. In the two on, two off setting they ons are diagonal from the offs.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 08:00 PM

That's why I asked about pulling the chains :)

Jun 1, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Had I known this was a possibility... I must have pulled the center chain when I was cleaning it! :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tail light, dashboard lights, gear lights not working [ 11 Answers ]

My dashboard , tail lights are not working anymore and I can't figure out why. I gave my car to one of the mechanic and he could'nt figure it out as well. There was a tingy smell coming out of the car after lights went out as if something in the car got fried. Moreover, now he says that whenever he...

1994 MGM, Parking lights and side marker lights not working? [ 5 Answers ]

MY parking lights and side marker lights are not working, also my gauge lights are not working. When I press the brakes, all my lights work, my headlights also work and my turn signals and hazard lights turn on, but my inside gauge lights, side marker lights, and parking lights are not on. What...

Ceiling fan and bedroom/bathroom lights quit working [ 5 Answers ]

I was changing a light bulb in my ceiling fan and my bedroom and bathroom lights and ceiling fan quit working. I checked the breakers and nothing was tripped. I reset the breakers anyway and it is still not working. Do I need to check the wiring and if so, what do I check for?

Installed Ceiling Fan: Fan Works/Lights Quit Working [ 3 Answers ]

I successfully installed a Hampton ceiling fan about three maybe four years ago and it has worked just fine up until about 4 months ago when the lights would start going off and then sometimes come back on intermittently. Suspecting a loose connection, I removed the light housing and found that...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search