Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NICKY2678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Frozen bank acct
    My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday is this true and what steps if any can I take to stop the interest from building up everyday, and get them to unfreeze my bank acct
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2006, 03:31 PM
    If they attached your bank account they already have a judgement against you. They do not intend to release your bank account they plan on taking all the money out of it, and any more you ever put in it.

They would have garnished your pay had you been working.

So if this is a valid debt, forgot that bank account it is history.
    NICKY2678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 04:51 AM
    I never received notice of a court date to address this debt and I thought the debt collectors had to get permission from the courts to freeze your acct, but my main concern is there interest really building everyday on the debt I owe there by increasing what I owe
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY2678
    I never received notice of a court date to address this debt and I thought the debt collectors had to get permission from the courts to freeze your acct, but my main concern is there interest really building everyday on the debt I owe there by increasing what I owe
    Yes they do need permission from the courts, which they obviously got. You may not have received notices, but they had to have made a good faith effort to serve you, otherwise the court would not have granted the judgement.

And yes, when you borrow money, you pay interest for the use of that money. Interest can continue to accrue as long as the debt is unpaid.
    deena09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 03:24 PM
    My understanding is that unemployment compensation is exempt from creditor's claims. The bank in which the account was frozen should have sent you paperwork giving you the information regarding the levy and exemption forms to complete if the deposited funds were indeed unemployment compensation. However, there is a time limit attached to your response after you receive the paperwork. Possibly consulting an attorney would help, maybe check to see if there is a volunteer attorney program where you live. This is just my opinion, hope it helps.
    staciesmig Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 05:59 PM

I just had a similar experience but I received a court date notice and on the notice it states that if you are receiving unemployment you are exempt from the freeze but you have to get a court date

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need info on garnishing wages & taking your bank acct. [ 11 Answers ]

Need some advice or legal help. Tried to put a post up earlier something happen to my computer. Anyway I have been reading post about credit card company's garninshing your wages and taking money out of your bank acct without your permission. Can they really do this. Is this actually legal. ...

Transport Of Frozen Embryos To The Us? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, My wife and I are going abroad (to Cape Town South Africa specifcally) for IVF fertility treatments -- we cannot afford them here. We leave in a few weeks and the procedure will be August 2nd. We expect the procedure will produce "extra" embryos, i.e. beyond those that will be...

Checking account frozen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My mother had her bank account frozen due to her credit card situation. Where can she cash her Social Security checks, Thanks

Bank Acct Freeze -garnishment [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I've had a garnishment placed on my bank accts from an old credit card debt, I thought had been paid. Apparently, in 2004 I was served court papers - (I think an old roommate signed for them & never gave them to me) for the court date. Anyway, I did not appear in court. I really was...

Frozen pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What can i do when my water pipe appears to be frozen

View more questions Search