Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

May 25, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Changing the DVD playing region on Windows XP
    I recently changed the region on my laptop so I could use something from Japan, but now I want to get it back to region 2, but I can't remember how I first did it.
    I've googled a way how but every time I try to change it, it comes up with an alert saying "Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media and you have administration privilage."
    I don't know what this means. :confused:
    So what should I do now?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 01:42 PM

The error message says to put something from the USA into the CD drive and then try to change it. If your account does not have administrative privileges, you can't do it. Are you on Vista?

There is a finite number of times that they will allow you to switch regions. I think windows allows you to set it four times and then you're toast.

May 25, 2009, 03:46 PM

I'm not on Vista, I'm on XP.
    Ok, so its put something that's region one in to change it?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 05:36 PM

I'm saying that if it was originally region 1 (USA). Let's say you changed it to region 2, then back to region 1. That's three times. If you then change it to region 2 or 3 again, you can't change it back to region 1. You can set it only four times.

As for the administrative privileges, on XP, it's possible to set privileges lower than administrative, but you'd probably know it.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 08:43 PM

You should be able to only change/set region 5 times

Right click on My Computer and choose properties
    -Go to hardware tab
    -click on device mgr
    -click + sign next to cd/dvd drives
    -Go to Region Tab
    -Choose your region and click OK

May 26, 2009, 11:30 AM

Seahwk83 I did that and I get that error message.

It was origonally region 2, and it won't let me change back, I've only changed ONCE.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 04:00 PM

See if having the Disk that has the region you want to change to is in the drive at the time when trying to change helps.

That should work having a commercial DVD in the drive when trying to make change

Hope that's it

Not an answer yet, though.

Should be able to play in VLC
    VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
    winderrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 07:37 AM
    What if I still want to change the region after the 5th time?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abdominal region [ 9 Answers ]

I have been dieting for around 3 weeks or so. I weigh 126 lbs and I used to weight 145 or so lbs. I am 24 and I have a small frame. My body is skinny, but when it comes to my stomach it buldges out like I've been told by many people it looks like a girl when pregnant how she is skinny but the belly...

Region 9 philippines [ 1 Answers ]

can u give me some literature of the region 9 philippines, any form of literature pieces, such as stories, poems, myths, epic, etc..:confused::o

Changing my Windows Vista Themes! [ 21 Answers ]

I am trying to change the theme of my machine but I cannot figure it out. The following link is the theme I want if someone can walk me through the steps of how to go about making this work! :: Striped VS Vista Port :: by ~sweatyfish on deviantART I cannot figure out what to do! ...

Windows media player 11 not playing a video error message C00D11B1 [ 4 Answers ]

I copied some videos we made from my friends computer, I'm pretty sure he was using windows vista, I have media player 11, I receive an error message C00D11B1, when trying to play them, web help page came up and I went to it and couldn't find anything to help me. What codec do I have install...

Changing back to windows XP from a free Vista [ 5 Answers ]

Recent download for free Vista, it overrode the XP, now free trial is up, we want to return to XP?

View more questions Search