Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dell8606 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Chemistry Equation
    If 25g of hydrogen and 13g of oxygen ate allowed to react, how much water will be produced?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 12:31 PM

First identify the compounds or elements involved:

Hydrogen: H2
    Oxygen: O2
    Water H2O

Then write the equation

Then balance the equation.

Calculate the molecular weights for the materials involved:

H2 - Molecular weight ≈ 2
    O2 - Molecular weight ≈ 32
    H2O - Molecular weight ≈ 18

Now figure out the number of moles involved:

According to the balanced equation, you need 2 moles of H2 for every mole of O2. You have 12.5 moles of H2, so this could react with 6.25 moles of O2. But, you have nowhere near that much O2. You only have 0.406 moles. Therefore, the most H2 that can react is 0.813 moles of H2. The rest of the H2 will sit there and do what unreacting molecules do (probably spend time with the senator from my state -- doing nothing).

So, you have 0.406 moles of O2 + 0.813 moles of H2 producing 0.813 moles of H2O (all this comes from the balanced equation).

If you're more accurate than I was with molecular weights, you can get more accurate answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry equation? [ 1 Answers ]

Na2B4O7+H2SO4-->H3BO3+NaSO4 Balance THIS?

Chemistry Equation Balancing [ 2 Answers ]

I am Class Vii student need help in equation balancing H2+O2=H2O CaCo3=CaO+Co2 Zn+Hcl=Zncl2+H2 H2O=H2+O2 Na+cl2=NACL please tell me if these equation balacing is correct

Chemistry equation [ 1 Answers ]

How many grams of CO2 are formed by complete reaction with 33.7 grams of limestone? What is the volume of CO2 at STP? CaCO3(s)+2HCl(aq)-->CaCl2(aq)+CO(g)+H2O(l) the first 3 and all the 2's except the first one are small.

View more questions Search