Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HooperPC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Oil Furnace boiler leaks ? Repair or replace?
    Hi and thanks to those who read and respond to my post.

I think the oil furnace boiler is leaking water internally. I did my spring furnace clean, and found the soot in the bottom of the boiler inside was moist. Before, inside was VERY dry and easy to vacuum. Soot does not smell like fuel oil. The concrete pad around it and the water heater is damp, but not wet. (Gas Water heater just replaced and problem remained). There is also evidence of water in the flue pipe, with dried rust stains on outside of pipe. The furnace was very noisy this season at shutoff.

Is this a leaking boiler, or could it be something else? Is is repairable, or time to replace? The hot water unit (Vaillant) is about 20 years old. The Igniter unit (Blue Angel) is about the same age.

Thanks for your help
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

You could have a hole in your chimney cap, and rain coming down threw.
    HooperPC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Thanks,
    I checked the rain cap, but its looks OK. That would have been an easy fix. Plus, the concrete pad under the furnace and hot water heater is damp, and we have not had any rain for at least a week.
    I now see that the concrete is dampest at the corner where the water supply enters this utility room. The pipes and whole house shutoff valve are dry inside the house. Could I have a leak underground enroute to the Water meter at the street? This still would not explain why the INSIDE of the boiler shows moisture.:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    You could have a hole in your chimney cap, and rain coming down threw.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 11:54 AM

Could have a main water line leak, or if it is real hot and humid you may just be having a condencation problem
    rkelly32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 12:10 PM
    [fix] water leak in oil furnace
    http://dailytweak.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/waterfix-leak-in-oil-furnace/
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 30, 2013, 05:01 PM
    Rust on the flue pipe is only from condensation. Water around the base and inside the furnace is probably telling you that there is a leak in the cast heat exchanger. After 20 years, this would not be considered uncommon. It's expensive but think about installing one of the new high efficiency furnaces out there. They are smaller, do an incredible job and are very fuel efficient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiler Leaks Through Overflow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a boiler system. When it kicks on, the pressure rises to slightly over 30 psi and then discharges a some water through the overflow pipe. Not much, I would say about 5 gallons over two days of running in mid-winter. I have changed the pressure relief valve (a 30 psi), so know that is not...

Repair or Replace Trane XV80 Variable Speed 2 Stage Furnace? [ 28 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane XV80 Variable Speed High Efficiency Two Stage furnace that has done a great job heating my home until it stopped working this weekend. The service man identified that the gas valve needs to be replaced and quoted $617 for the repair while suggesting that we really should...

Protherm Boiler Leaks water from Over Flow? [ 2 Answers ]

Please can anyone help. We have a 3 year old Protherm Combi Boiler and its been losing Bar Pressure for months... We have to keep filling it with water every 4/5 Hours. We have diagnosed that Water is going straight out the Over Flow Pipe outside. Can we buy a Part and fix this or will we need...

Repair or replace a Payne Gas Furnace? [ 2 Answers ]

G'day, I have a Payne PG8MAA042090 gas heater and I believe it's rated as 90,00 BTUs at 80%. This unit was installed in December 2002 due to t house inspection when I purchased the house. Shortly after that I installed a LUX1500 programmable thermostat from Home Depot and this combo has...

How much to replace boiler? [ 2 Answers ]

We are planning to move into our next house in a few weeks. We just had the inspection done and found that the house, built in 1986, has it's original boiler & hot water heater. Our inspector recommended that we have the sellers replace them since they are reaching the end of their life...

View more questions Search