Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Blower motor overheating
    I have a Trane XE 70 split unit. 19 years old, current motor and cap are 10 years old. The blower motor stopped working on AC. My AC outdoors runs fine.

Motor issue persists regardless of Tstat settings - I tried heat & cool, auto and on. (left in the on position).

Opening up the ahu, the motor smells warm, and the back is warm to the touch.

If I cool the motor down with a box fan for a few minutes, the motor will restart and sound labored running 2-2.5 minutes then shuts off.

Any ideas? TIA

Lex
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Either the run capacitor has failed, or (believe it or not... believe it) the motor has shunted windings, a.k.a. bad motor.

May 24, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Thanks KC13.

How difficult is replacing the blower motor, and new running cap? I am willing to try, pretty comfortable with electricity.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
    For the average D.I.Y.er, obtaining a replacement motor can be more difficult than the actual replacement itself. Trane uses a unique mounting bracket for their blower motors which can be a little tricky for the inexperienced. If you really endeavor to do this yourself, take your time and pay close attention to the assembly and the wiring. If you run into a snag, posting pics here will probably result in capable help from one (or more) of the wiley, veteran members who make this site great.

May 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
    just in time for the cold front to roll in!
    I had a Marathon Cat # X004 in there. I got one shipped in 1 business day with cap for $110 (from R/S Baldor, Leeson, Fincor & Marathon Electric Motors, Sales, Repair & Service 800 279 2267 ask for Mike) Install was easy - took 1 hour - and I have AC again :)
    Thanks KC13 - you were right!

Lex

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor , how do I get the basket out to change motor [ 2 Answers ]

Please help I have a 96' comfortmaker and I cannot get to the motor to change it how do I do it?

Goodman furnace will ?heat motor? And blower motor will run but not at same time [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Goodman, gas, no heat pump. There is a flashing LED that blinks once ever 4 seconds. Also, blower motor does not stay on always. We did smell something like an electrical burn. I'm guess my blower motor is fried?

92 acura integra motor keeps overheating. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 90 Honda CRX Si with a 92 Acura Integra motor in it. I changed my water pump about a month ago since it started leaking coolant from the hole on the pump. Then yesterday my car started overheating. Last weak I blew a hose but then fixed it and this week it just started to overheat. So I...

View more questions Search