Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whoelse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Shoplifting on working holiday visa
    Am on a working holiday visa. It allows me to travel anywhere in the country and work in any city if I please. It is a two year visa only, and you cannot renew or extend it.

I was caught shoplifting at the Hudson Bay store, I had previously taken something from there before, shame I know. Anyway, the LP guy said that he had been watching me through the camera for sometime, and had seen me steal before through the camera, that he was basically waiting for me to steal something to catch me. I'm crazy I know.

So my question now is that can he have me charged for the previous time I stole from there. Or just the time he caught me? And they were the only two times. Ever.

I have been banned from the entire mall and the parking lot. I work in the mall, at another shop. And the Bay is three stores down from where I work. Which means I cannot work because I am not allowed to step foot in the place.

And I cannot afford a lawyer. I'm screwed. I don't know what the penalties are..
    emacon Posts: 48, Reputation: -4
    -

May 25, 2009, 04:40 PM

Not only are you a thief I would hope you get deported. You are the reason why prices are so high. Companies have to hire security companies to worry about scum like yourself stealing from them.

If they have you on tape stealing previously charges can be brought against you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 04:59 PM

Well first have you talked to the store owner where you work, but I doubt they will want you anyway after they find you stole from another store.

But yes they can ban you from the mall.

It depends on how long the other theft was before this one. The SOL may ( my guess) is about a year, so if it has been less than a year most likely they can change you with both if they have proof.
    -

May 25, 2009, 06:42 PM

Chuck, This guy steals everyday. There is not a shot in hell it has been more than a year since he stole. This guy has not just stole from this store he has stolen from other stores including the one he works at.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emacon View Post
    Chuck, This guy steals everyday. There is not a shot in hell it has been more than a year since he stole. This guy has not just stole from this store he has stolen from other stores including the one he works at.
    Did I miss something? Where does it say that in his post?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 09:20 AM

How do you know this? Previous postings? You know the OP? Psychic visions?
    -

May 26, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How do you know this? Previous postings? You know the OP? Psychic visions?

Read what he wrote. He admits to stealing from this store twice. Do you actually think this is the only time he has stolen? Now if he steals from another store he steals from the store he works in. It is much easier to steal from a store you work in since you know everything about the store. I own several businesses and employee theft was my biggest problem.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Read what he wrote. He admits to stealing from this store twice. Do you actually think this is the only time he has stolen? Now if he steals from another store he steals from the store he works in. It is much easier to steal from a store you work in since you know everything about the store. I own several businesses and employee theft was my biggest problem.

I also own and manage my own business plus just sold two stores so, yes, I know how easy it is to steal from an employer.

And I also know this is the legal thread and there is no room here for guessing.

I appreciate your anger and frustration at shoplifters and employees who steal from employers. It's evident in your posts.

But here, on the legal thread, we stick to facts and base our conclusions on what is posted, not what we read into posts. I do not see that this is his pattern and whether it is has nothing to do with answering his question AS POSTED.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 26, 2009, 10:53 AM

Were you charged? That would be my first question. Worst case scenario is that you are charged and whilst dealing with that you will also answer to Immigration which would almost certainly take action against you in terms of your status.

Stealing is wrong, stealing while on a temporary visa is a sure way to get yourself excluded from Canada for the rest of your life. This of course is just a worst case scenario, I hope it does not get this far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does shoplifting effect getting visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was caught in 2006 for shoplifting, had 2 charges (for shoplifting, and conspiracy - I was with my friend) in Delaware, US. Now I have criminal record in state of DE. I have some questions: How does the ambassy know of it, should I write YES to the question about crime or lie? ...

Canada/USA holiday visa with criminal conviction [ 1 Answers ]

2 years ago I was booked to travel to Canada via Hawaii for a holiday. 3 months before I travelled I was arrested for producing and possession of marijuana... 1400g. With a pending conviction I applied for US and Canadian Visas and was denied by the US. I was finally fined $750au with no...

Will shoplifting ruin my visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all , I was caught shoplifting at jcp store in Texas.. the amount of the goods were worth $164( I did not check for the prices which th eLP put on paper.. ). I paid for 2 shirts that I took , but the rest of the merchadise plus 2 earings were worth $164. The Lp got me signed on a paper , which...

Will shoplifting lead to visa rejection when it is applied for renewal [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently caught for shoplifting in Texas. I'm here on a dependent visa.I really don't know what made me do shoplifting.this is my first time and I got caught. I stole earing and clothes worth 150$ and I was arrested and taken to jail . But was out on bail by nght. I feel really very ashamed...

View more questions Search