Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Words acceptable in polite society
    Is there an acceptable word for "turd" ? Or have we invented a vulgate word for something that should to have a word to identify it?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Feces, stool, excrement.

Lovely thread. I feel like I need to go wash my hands.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2006, 12:29 AM
    Something smells here lol :p
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clarence
    "clarence disagrees: the examples given are not synonomous. interesting that you feel dirty because of my word, but not because of yours inasmuch as you think they mean the exact same thing. weash your mind while you are washing your hands"
    ... boy aren't you just the little grumpy newbie to the site??

After spending a few minutes thinking about how to answer your question (your thanks were MUCH appreciated), and kicking around a number of words that bring up images that aren't so pretty, yes... I felt a little "icked out". Get over it. That you took it so personally is, well, a little odd. Sensitive, are we? You poor dear. Need some clean tightie whities?

And as for those not being the same things... look, I've worked in the hospital and if someone has a turd (**gee I hope I'm using this in the correct context**) in their pants you'd very likely say "i have to go clean up grumpy clarence's bm" meaning bowel movement. Even through this describes the action, it is also used in the context of the result of the action. I specifically didn't include this one because technically it's the action, but in real use, it is also describing the thing.

When someone has to get a sample of your crap to analyze, they will ask for a stool sample, even though what you are giving them is a turd in a jar. Maybe you'd prefer we call it a T.I.J. Gosh, I hope we haven't been confusing the lab up by using such an inappropriate word as stool!

I don't care if you agree or not. Those terms ARE used in that manner.

Ill leave it to you to fret the linguistics. It'll make a lovely doctoral thesis. Or cocktail party discussion. Man I've spent way too much time on this %$#& already.
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Oct 23, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Fecal matter.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Since when did "polite society" include this as a viable topic of conversation?? LOL
    And I might offer wash Clarence's mind out with some fells naptha but it may be a waste of soap...
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 23, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Here's a new one for you, "coprolite." As in, "Wow, this $hit is getting old!" :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
    First, I suggest you check out this thread about use of the comments feature.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Second, you need to check your facts before you criticize someone. According the Merriam Webster, turn means
    1 sometimes vulgar : a piece of fecal matter
    Therefore kp's answers were totally correct.

Third, The comment about washing the hands was a joke. Your comments were totally uncalled for.

Finally, for someone who talks about polite society, you were awfully rude in your response. I think you owe kp an apology, instead of slinking off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misused words [ 9 Answers ]

How can you create a strategy for remembering how these words should be used? Since and sense, affect and effect :rolleyes:

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

What is the acceptable age [ 4 Answers ]

What do you guys think is the acceptable age to start having sex? I knew girls from school who were already having sex at the age 12 - 13. One girl I knew slept with over 7 guys in a space of 2 years, between the age of 12 - 14. Another I knew is worse than the one above!

Words of wisdom... [ 4 Answers ]

When I was 15yrs in 1999, a song was release called 'Sunscreen'. At the time it did not really mean much to me or have much of an impact. I heard it for the first time since 1999 last night and the words had so much of an impact on me I just had to share it with you guys. It bought tears to my...

Words in the Bible [ 4 Answers ]

There are roughly 177,00 words in the King James Version of the Bible. Of these words 12,000 of them differ from each other.. Given that, according to linguists, a normally educated person uses a vocabulary that has about 5,000 words and a well-educated person knows about 10,000 words, it could...

View more questions Search