Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damarco Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 04:20 AM
    Hypothetical Planetary System query
    Consider a hypothetical planetary system, within the Milky Way Galaxy, orbiting a central star known as Los. The star and planets, known collectively as the Ralos System, are to be found about two-thirds of the way out from the Galactic centre.

(Q)
    One of the other planets in the Ralos System is Htrae, a relatively small, compact body, with an atmosphere, oceans of liquid water and a hard rocky crust that provides a surface for its inhabitants to live on. The inhabitants of Htrae have determined that their planet has an absolute age of 4.5 × 109 years. Explain the principle of a method they might have used to determine their planet’s age. PLEASE BE AS SPECIFIC SA POSS THANKS.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 04:43 AM

Obviously they're going to do it the same way that we do here on earth: Isotopic ratios of radioactive compounds. You assume that when the earth solidified that the radioactive compounds were pure. This is a reasonable assumption since pure compounds tend to coalesce and crystallize on cooling.

As the radioactive starting materials decompose, they form the daughter products. By measuring the daughter products' concentration and the starting material concentration and knowing the half-life of the starting materials, you can figure out when they first solidified.

You should be able to easily research the materials that are commonly used to do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Law - Hypothetical Situation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently majoring a double degree being commercial law/banking and finance. I'm only asking for suggestions and advice. The following hypothetical situation relates closely to Donoghue v Stevenson. Lim, a mild mannered commercial law student, buys from FLG Chicken Bar Pty Ltd. On his...

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

SOL in Surrey, because Canada (Hypothetical Situation) [ 1 Answers ]

Lets say I was pulled over in Surrey, BC over the past summer of 2007. I was aked for Identification which I did not have. I satisfied the constable of my identity and he issued me a couple minor motor vehicle act violations (fines). Lets say that after a couple months of investigating on...

Purely hypothetical - I promise [ 9 Answers ]

I love old cars. I really do. I would love to own one. It's not going to happen ANYtime soon. But. Would it be possible to put a vintage (good condition) body and frame over a modern engine and all of that stuff? Or I guess more accurately, could you put a modern engine into an old car?

Hypothetical Response to this statement [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you could would respond if you ever ran into your ex either in person or on the phone and they mentioned they are now in another relationship. The few ones that came to mind would be good for you, glad you found someone that can make you happy. Not sure exactly and...

View more questions Search