Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 23, 2009, 11:38 PM
    BBQ saucessss
    HI there, so this is a two part question.

Question part #1: Where can I find A lot of empty bottles with lids for canning BBQ sauce?

Question part #2: I need help thinking of a BBQ stand name/BBQ sauce name.

These questions are to assist my wonderful chef of a boyfriend. If you need additional information, I'll be glad to answer to assist in thinking of a name.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 24, 2009, 12:02 AM

You can try a local restaurant supply store, but you might need to get a tax id first. Or, just go to; Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs., it is the Ball jars' homepage. They are the classic canning supply company.
    As far as a name goes, you might want to think of something that is appropriate to the sauce. Is it hot? Mild? Sweet? Spicy? Whatever taste it is, think of a name that would go with it. Say for example, your boyfriend's name is Bob, and his sauce is a hot BBQ. You might call it, Bob's "Firehouse Red Hot B.B.Q. sauce." Something that paints a visual picture that can be associated with the product. Look at the sauces in your grocery store. Along the major brand names, you might find local favorites. Look at the names to get an idea. Always use an "action" word that brings an image to the mind of the consumer. That will make them curious enough to try the sauce over say, a major brand. Next, he has to get some publicity. You might want to make a gift basket for your local morning radio Deejays. Get a restaurant to try, and maybe sell your product. Make a website, buy newspaper space, and offer the food critic a bottle for review.
    Best of luck, and if it starts selling you owe me a case.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2009, 12:06 AM

He's already selling the sauce under a different name. We are opening a bbq stand and need help thinking of a name for the bbq stand and we're going to correspond the bbq sauce name with that. It's not any one flavor. There are ten different flavors. We are using bell jars and they are tacky, we want a normal looking bbq sauce container. We want it to look professional.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2009, 12:09 AM

It's a st. louis style bbq. We live in the pacific northwest. So we don't want to use anything "st. louis"... if that helps.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

May 24, 2009, 01:13 AM

Well, you can try googling "canning and bottling supplies Washington." or "food packaging services Washington state". There are a few places that you can hire out to bottle the sauce professionally. I've seen something similar on Food Network's "Unwrapped."
    As far as the name goes, if you don't want to associate with the St. Louis style, then don't. Remember, you want to find something that the consumer can visualize in their mind. McDonald's brings "cheap fast food," to mind, "Chilli's," brings Tex-Mex (originally,) to the mind. Action, visual clues are the best. If it is a actual stand, that is a portable smoker, than try personalizing it. Like "(insert name here,) roadside B.B.Q." If you are planning to start a restaurant, try going with a theme. A few hay bales, some "antique" road signs, make up some signs with fake companies that are whimsical, etc. and it will attract customers. There used to be a restaurant chain in Georgia and Florida called "Poor Folk's" that actually had their menu printed on medium paper sacks, which of course could be used for doggie bags!
    Anything that catches the eye, makes the product different than the others, will make it stand out. And that is the best way to get your foot in the door...
    Now, since he is going to be full service, my consulting fee just went up. Send me two full racks, with a sampler of his sauces. Good Luck!
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2009, 01:35 AM

We don't want to hire anyone to do anything, that's the whole point of our business. Is that everything is handmade and original. We make our own labels. We just need the bottles. I will try that thanks. I searched eBay and NOTHING. Thanks for all the advice.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 24, 2009, 06:47 PM

Sauces-Syrups is a good site to find bottles and other containers. There are a ton of ideas for sauce names as well as BBQ stand names. What is the core idea/ingredient for your sauces? What is his name? What city does he hail from? Where did he perfect his sauce? Which BBQ meat will be his trademark? All of this info is needed to formulate a name that you can market to mass merchandisers and the public. History of the product gives a little extra to the sales pitch.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgsnkats View Post
    Sauces-Syrups is a good site to find bottles and other containers. There are a ton of ideas for sauce names as well as BBQ stand names. What is the core idea/ingredient for your sauces? Secret recipe, but there are ten different sauces, might be adding more. What is his name? Marcus What city does he hail from? Vancouver, Washington; where we live. Where did he perfect his sauce? Do you mean where did he go to school? Which BBQ meat will be his trademark? Pork. All of this info is needed to formulate a name that you can market to mass merchandisers and the public. History of the product gives a little extra to the sales pitch.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 2, 2009, 10:45 PM

Maybe something like The Spice of Life, this would be the brand name, and you said you have 10 different flavors.
    Jazzy-for bold flavor
    Zesty-for a quick pick me up
    Snappy-for a clean taste
    Sorry not much help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 10:50 PM

Be sure to process the sauce correctly, or you will end up with a lot of sick customers!
    Vision Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Be sure to process the sauce correctly, or you will end up with a lot of sick customers!
    He knows how to do all that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    He knows how to do all that.
    Good! I grew up in the hills of NC and knew people whose "stummicks" always hurt and who "vomicked and vomicked" because of the poorly-processed home-canned foods.
    Vision Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 11:07 PM

Haha.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search