Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Asking for Christmas gifts etiquette
    My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want."

I was appalled at this rude e-mail. Part of me wants to send nothing because gift giving is supposed to come from the heart. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance... before I blow my top.
    M
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 11:49 PM
    I would rather have cash than gift cards as well.

That's just me.

I am NOT a fan of gift cards.

What were you planning on getting them? A present, gift card or cash? If you want to get them a present, then go for it, but in my opinion gift cards are a bad idea, they expire, force you to spend the money at a certain store, etc…

And if they would rather have cash, then go for it, less shopping for you!

But, if you like to shop for Christmas presents and want to actually BUY them a gift, then go out and buy them something.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2006, 12:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by m67
    My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want."

I was appalled at this rude e-mail. Part of me wants to send nothing because gift giving is supposed to come from the heart. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance....before i blow my top.
    M
    I so know the feeling!
    I don't know how old your sisters kids are but I'm in a very similar situation as you're in when it comes to b'days and Christmas.

We get asked in advance before the actual date, given lists etc of what the kids want.
    I do get cross I must admit. But the kids are only 5 years old so I can't blame them. I just usually give money to keep everyone happy.

But if you want to do otherwise it is entirely up to you.
    You buy want you want for them and no one is obligied to do otherwise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2006, 06:00 AM
    I agree it was rude. Giving you a list of specific items they might want, may be considered helpful. But a plea for cash was not.

Buying gift cards is safer then sending cash (you never want to do that) or checks. If you have the receipt and the mail is lost you can get the card replaced. We try to get the cards from stores we know the kids like to shop at.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 3, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Yes, I agree that it could be construed as rude. However, it saves me from shopping and hoping that I get a gift they like. That way I know they got something they want, and they picked it out themselves.

If I get a list in September for Christmas I wonder if the kids will still want what is on that list in December. So cash is great. Especially if they are young and you are going to give them $20 for example. Then get 20 one dollar bills and wrap them in several individual boxes. It is fun for the kids that way.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Send your sister a tactful reply informing her that her indiscretions are inappropriate and why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting holiday gifts for persons of other religions [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I know I have made fun of them but I have An aunt, uncle, and three cousins who are Jehovas witnesses. I know they don't celebrate santa and all that stuff. Isn't there some way I can get something for them that won't offend or start a war?

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Wedding Gifts [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding. Our nephew is marrying a girl from a very wealthy family. While visiting with a cousin, someone mentioned that it is proper wedding ettiquette to give a wedding gift that matches the price per plate at a wedding reception. The cost per plate at...

Wedding Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My sister's daughter is getting married soon. Sister is widowed and dating a guy (for several months). Sister wants Date to sit with her in the first pew (Sister will be walked down the aisle to sit in first pew). Daughter says it is her wedding and she does not want date to sit in the first pew...

Bad neighbor etiquette [ 9 Answers ]

My house is in a thick forest in Florida and we are experiencing a severe drought this year. Wildfires are common. Friday night my neighbor held a Memorial Day party that was, for lack of a better word to describe it, like Hee Haw revisited. I don't mind the loud music or beer-lagered guests or...

View more questions Search