Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    primaverapiedra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 06:58 PM
    Thermal expansion tank
    Is it necessary to install a pressure gauge and a pressure reducing valve with by-pass in a standard installation of a thermal expansion tank
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 23, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by primaverapiedra View Post
    is it neccesary to install a pressure gauge and a pressure reducing valve with by-pass in a standard installation of a thermal expansion tank
    A pressure gage's always handy to test house pressure.
    If the tank's installed on the cold water inlet of a water heater the answer's
    No! The PRV valve's installed to reduce excessive water main pressure to acceptable house limits and a by-pass on a expansion tank would defeat its purpose. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 24, 2009, 10:56 AM

You should have PRV if your incoming house pressure exceeds 75psi. Thermal expansion tank is there to absorb - you guessed it: Thermal Expension. Therefore, it rather deals with high water temperature in your plumbing system.

I have to ask same question as Tom in his previous answer: Why bypassing thermal expansion tank ?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 24, 2009, 11:02 AM

Just to make sure, you are talking about domestic water yes? Not a boiler system. Does your domestic water have a backflow preventer. This would be the only reason you need an expansion tank. Are you replacing an existing tank, or adding one to the system? If you could give us a little more info about your setup, we will try our best to help you do this correctly.

I agree with both answers above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal expansion [ 5 Answers ]

On heating why aluminium rod expands more than steel rod?:

Expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my submerged well pump has been running every 4 minutes and then shutting down, I also noticed that water pressure is lower than usual and that the pump runs to keep the pressure at 28-30 psi. Is there a problem with the expansion tank?

Thermal Expansion Valve replacement [ 19 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 ton Rheem heat pump and I need to know if the Thermal expansion valve can be disassembled or do you have to unsolder and replace the whole unit? The model # on the A coil is RCOB-C0305 serial number is M3292. It appears to me that the round portion that the bulb sensor goes into will...

View more questions Search