Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurnenw Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Writing assignment
    So I have to do a writing assignment for my accounting 201 class, and our professor didn't explain it at all. I think I know what the answer is, but it seems too easy and I wanted a second option:

Surelock Homes is a private investigator. In 1960, Mrs. E. Press Lee hired Surelock to investigate her husband. After working diligently for all of 1960, Surelock completed his investigation. Mrs. Lee paid him with a gold bullion worth $700,000. In 1961, Surelock was unable to work due to a back problem from carrying the buillion. Mr. Mort U. Wary agreed to take the weight off his back for $50,000. Homes sold it the bullion for $50,000 cash. Homes thinks his business is more successful in 1961 when he received $50,000 to expend than it was in 1960.
    As Mr. Homes accountant, you are to write him a report, explaining which of the two years whas the best year for his business and why.

My assumption is that 1960 was the best year, as he earned $700,000.
    However, he never worked in 1961 and still had an income of $50,000.
    But he never got to keep the money from the previous year... he actually lost $650,000 in that transaction.

Do you have any thoughts?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 11:40 PM
    You can look at this problem from a couple of ways.

First, you make some very good points.

But, consider this:

In any business, cash flow is a problem. I can have a book value of net income of $1,000,000 a year, but if my customers don't pay me cash, I will go bankrupt.

In hindsight, selling it for 1/14 of its value was a bit silly, but when you are having liquidity problems, selling it for anything to keep you afloat is better then getting nothing for it and going bankrupt.
    laurnenw Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Thanks! I didn't think to approach the question in that manner, and it helped a lot and made a lot of sense.

That got me on the right track, but if anyone else has another point of view, its always greatly appreciated :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assignment Help [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently studying Forensic Science at College in England, and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on an assignment I have as we have had very little guidance on it. The task is to review the types of energy (I believe this means kinetic, potential etc.), their...

Assignment question [ 9 Answers ]

On January 1, 2002, Strauss Department Store purchased five sweaters from Charter Manufacturers for $20 each. On April 1, 2002, Ms. Landers purchased those sweaters from Strauss for $35 each. Strauss should recognize a 1. $75 increase in revenue for the sale of the sweaters to Ms. Landers. 2. ...

My Chemistry Assignment [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently received an assignment, asking several questions, including: Why does blood turn brown, and what chemical reactions are involved with this change? Do different fibres (i.e. carpet) change the blood in any way (like its composition)? What do different fibres do to blood, and what...

Homework assignment [ 1 Answers ]

My homework assignment is about unions. Nurses asked for a 7% increase in living expenses and these nurses asked to have a meeting with the administrator to discuss issues about increasing the facilities and patient care and the administrator said, "Hell, it makes no difference what they want to...

View more questions Search