Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Heat in the winter
    I live in an apartment (building built in 1800's) in west chester, Pennsylvania and I do not have a thermostat in my apartment. My neighbor downstairs has the thermostat to control the heat for both our apartments. Minus the kitchen and office, each room has a single hot water radiator.

My landlord wants to charge me $60/month for the winter months (nov - feb) and last year my apartment was cold!

My question is: if I cannot control the temperature of my apartment does he have the right to charge me a monthly fee for heat?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2006, 05:15 PM
    Check your lease. Unless Utilities are a separate charge then they should be included in the Rent. The lease may provide for a fuel surcharge, however.

Control of the thermostat is not a factor, but if you aren't getting enough heat, you have cause for complaint.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2006, 05:28 PM
    It is not uncommom in some older apartments for heating to be controlled by management ( another tenant is not as normal)

But your lease should specifiy what fees you have to pay or do not have to pay.

If you have a issue with it being cold, you should file speicif complaints in writing.

How is the heat done in the kitchen and office, and how it that paid.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 3, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Yes - since you are in the upper unit, you should be OK since heat from the lower floor will rise upward to your unit. Make sure you insulate exterior windows and doors for heat leakage - rolled up old cloth towels on the sills works and keeping drapes/blinds closed during the evening will also help assist in the leakage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

First heat [ 2 Answers ]

When can I expect my daschund to come into heat for the first time. What age ?

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search