Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cubfan2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Does Renters Insurance Pay for dent/broken windshield
    My Wife and I moved into an apartment complex last fall and there are softball/soccer fields behind our building. Our 2 story building runs parallel with the 3rd base foul line. Recently softball season started and about every night 1 softball goes foul and hits the roof of our building. Sometimes they roll back off the back of the building, but other times they go over the peak of the roof and land in the front of the building in our parking lot. Last night one came over and hit our neighbors car and put a sizable dent in her fender. She went over and talked to ump and he said it would be considered an act of God. Is that true? Is she stuck paying her deductible on her car insurance? There are nets along the 3rd base foul line to catch foul balls, but they do not go back toward home plate enough. The softball fields are ran by the city and all of our parking spaces are assigned by apartment management so we have no choice where we park. Can she go after the city or the apartment management for repairs to her vehicle since it is known that balls occasionally go foul and appropriate measures have obviously not been taken to keep the balls on the field. Thx
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 07:19 PM

Hello c:

She can certainly make a claim on the city. I think they're responsible.

excon
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 22, 2009, 07:58 PM

Didn't know God played softball. If he does, who's side is he own?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 11:00 PM

In this case, she can pursue the city for the damages since they are responsible for not having adequate netting protection to prevent the balls from flying over to your apartment complex.

But to answer your first question, No- the renters insurance would not pay for the damages to her parked vehicle. Although this is not necessarily considered an "act of God", the Comprehensive coverage on her auto policy would still cover the repairs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2009, 08:24 AM

Not an act of God and renters insurance does not cover the car. I would make a claim to the city, they have insurance to cover their liability. Often a city may initially deny a claim but be persistent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2009, 08:43 AM

Ball is right here. Either the city or the league using the facility will have insurance to cover such eventuality. Find out where the office of the league is and have your neighbor send them AND the city a claim for the cost of the repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have renters insurance but. [ 3 Answers ]

I have renters insurance. I moved about 15 miles down the way to a new apartment. My TV, Surround sound, and TV table/stand were broken/loss of value. Would that normally be covered? I'm in the military and definitely don't have the cash to pay for any of these items/repair them. What to do? ...

Is renters insurance necessary? [ 7 Answers ]

Moving out into an apartment for the first time. Do I need renters insurance? And where should I look for it? How much is reasonable? How much is reasonable? Is there a certain kind of renters insurance I should get?

Does Home Insurance pay for a broken car winshield? [ 22 Answers ]

We were at my son's high school baseball game yesterday and one of the players hit a foul ball into the parking lot. It hit my car windshield and smashed it. I do not have coverage to replace it under my auto insurance. The school will not reimburse us either. Someone told us that the homeowners...

Opinion on broken arm - no insurance [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, making a long story short. 3 kids with Ex-wife. She moved out of state (1000 miles away) before our divorce was final without my consent but a judge allowed her temporary relocation rights until the divorce was finalized. Each year I try to add our (out of state) kids to my insurance policy and...

Car's windshield washer does not spray on windshield [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Toyota Tercel '97. Lately when the temparature is so down like high 10 F and the windshilled is below 0 degree. I live in chicago My windshield washer does not spray on windshield when I tried to when driving. I looked the level of the fluid and it is full. I suspect might be the...

View more questions Search