Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellymco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 09:38 PM
    School privacy
    My son attends the public school in our town, He has many problems including adhd. I belong to a volunteer agency in my towm. Today I found ou that my son was the topic yesterday at a function of this volunteer agency. A family member of one of our volunteers is employed by the school. She decided to discuss my son's behavior with her daughter who then made numerous negative comments about my son. Can a school employee discuss this stuff? Is there ant liabe or slander?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2006, 10:00 PM
    It's only slander if the stuff that was said about your son is NOT true.

Is that the case?

I don't know where you live, but here in Ontario, we have something called the Privacy Act, which applies to schools.

Basically, the LAW says that they can't go around doing what you describe.

But, since you did not indicate where you live, it might be acceptable, it might not. You should check to see if your province/state has any kind of privacy laws?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2006, 05:39 AM
    It also depends on what capacity the person is employed in and whether what she told her daughter was confidential information. Lets say this women told her daughter things that were not public knowledge but in your son's file which she had access to. In such a case, you might have an action against the school district for misconduct.

On the other hand, lets say all she mentioned was behavior that she observed in the school that was done in public. In that case, there is nothing you can do. People can talk if they want to.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 06:56 PM
    This is a grey area. As far as discussing your son's behavior, if it's overt behavior exhibited publicly within the school, then generally it's fair game. It needs to be understood that your son will ultimately be held responsible for his conduct, ADHD or not. Now, if this school employee attempts to diagnose a specific condition or prescribe a specific treatment and it's not in her professional capacity to do so (you didn't state in what capacity she's employed by the school district), then she may be crossing the line and could be legally liable for such statements.
    goodneighborswanted Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2006, 11:12 PM
    Is there anyone at school you can talk to? If nothing else, it may ease you and let the other person know how you feel about the employee discussing your son. I'd start with the principal and let them make the judgement call on right or wrong. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After School Special? [ 3 Answers ]

There was a movie I remember watching in the 80's. It was about a boy with red hair and a frog that sang "That's amore!" The boy was kind of a science geek. I think the frog came to life at the end... Anybody?

How to go to school in Paris [ 6 Answers ]

I really want to live in Paris, France... And I'm an america. I would do anything to live there, and I was wondering as a possibily to get there and stay, how could I get into a French college, like the Sorbonne. Can you tell me how to get in, the equivalency of our grades levels to there's, our...

Do you keep HM after school is over? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone keeps their Homework/Class work after the school semester is over? I do but not all of it.

About School [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to be very aggressive most of the time in school I mean just by someone looking at me it seeems to me like I got to do somethng about it because its going to hurt me and this has gotten me to be very popular in school with students and staff I mean students like me cause I won't beat up...

I need to finish school, but don't want to end it. [ 4 Answers ]

I fell in love with a beautiful woman at my original school, but she moved away the next semester because she didn't fit in. We did the long distance relationship for nearly eight months (our total time going out is thirteen months). So, to show her how strong I felt about her and to try out a...

View more questions Search