Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sundaya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Moving steam radiators
    I would like to relocate single pipe steam radiators, basically swap some around by putting larger ones (in colder areas) where small ones are and vice versa. It seems that it should be easy enough to close the valve, disconnect the radiator and relocate. I have no education on this though and I am concerned about hooking them up properly (I understand about the necessary pitch) however what materials and procedures do I need to ensure a tight seal (with regard to hot steam)? I think I need an elementary education in plumbing. Please advise, I need to do this soon before the heat kicks on. Thanks.
    sundaya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Seeing I had so many reviews and no answers, I thought I would write in what I found out thus far from a local plumbing supply co.. To reassemble, make sure threads are clean (wire brush/steel wool if necessary), then add pipe dope (glue) to interface parts only (between the threads, has a smooth surface. That's it. Do not gum up the threads with anything. No plumbing tape needed. Also, I was advised while I have the radiators disconnected to take them to get sandblasted (old house paint) for the paint actually seals the heat in and makes the radiators less efficient. Then spray them with a high heat aluminum paint (will reflect heat outward) to protect them from rusting.:p
    billnj Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2006, 04:31 PM
    What you are trying to accomplish is really quite basic and should not be a problem. The info you received from the plumbing supply company is right on the money as far as removing old paint. You will also need to make sure that switching a larger radiator into a new space is going to fit. Also, make sure the fittings are the same size on each radiator or you will need to swap them in order to reconnect them. One other suggestion is to buy new purge valves if any of the existing ones are not working properly. The purge valves allow the cold air in the radiator to escape as steam is rising into the system from the boiler. If the purge valves are not functioning properly you will not get the proper heat from the radiator. Also, if the purge valve does not shut off at the proper time you will be losing steam from the system and will need to replace the lost water in the boiler more often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam? [ 7 Answers ]

What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam?

Hot radiators but no hot water [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there I hope someone can help me. I have a problem with my hot water, the heating is on and the radiators are roasting hot but I have no hot water if someone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks Jennifer

Moving radiators [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to relocate single pipe steam radiators, basically swap some around by putting larger ones (in colder areas) where small ones are and vice versa. It seems that it should be easy enough to close the valve, disconnect the radiator and relocate. I have no education on this though and I...

Floor tile over steam pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a steam radiator relocated in a bathrom that is being renovated. The plumber ran a copper pipe to the radiator, leaving so little clearance above it that the ceramic floor tile will be touching the pipe directly. Is that OK? WIll the tile crack as the pipe heats up with steam? Thanks,

Self Esteem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me in this, How can I improve the self esteem in someone I really care about, He is having some difficulties facing the life because of that . Thank you Sara :confused: Hi I post this Q? Few days go ,and till now I did not get any reply, I really hope that...

View more questions Search