Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sportster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Vacating a judgment
    I received a subpoena in the mail from an attorney concerning a judgment entered against me on 4/13/92. It’s in the amount of $4,642.12 plus cost and interest leaving a total now of $7,253.30.
    I don’t remember how or if I got served in ’92. I moved from place to place back then and don’t remember if they were able to find me. But, eventually over the years they did find my address and have been sending me letters concerning the debt, but I just ignored them. I was self employed , lost the business and just worked off and on over the years. I could not pay the debt, so I ignored the letters. Eventually they stopped until now when I got the subpoena.
    I am in the process of trying to get it vacated, but I’m not sure the reasons are valid.
    As I said earlier, I do not remember being served. Also I’m not sure this debt is legal.
    Here’s the story. In 1988 I was in detox for 3 days. The counselor I spoke to back then, and I don’t even know her name or if she is still there, told me it was a federally funded program and I would not have to pay. I had no job at the time. If I did have a job I would not have been accepted. I don’t have or remember signing any papers saying I will eventually have to pay the government.
    The plaintiff on the subpoena is the hospital I was in, even though it’s from an attorney who probably took over the case.
    Do I have a leg to stand on? Do I have the right to ask for copies of anything I signed, if any, from the attorney? Is it legal to charge all that interest Do you think these are valid reasons to vacate a Judgment or do you think I should just forget about the whole thing because I haven’t got a leg to stand on? Is there a Statue of Limitation on this?
    This is long, but any suggestions would be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Sportster
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 1, 2006, 05:26 PM
    A judgement does have a time frame, they can keep renewing it. You have every right tp ask for paperwork concerning the debt. More than likely they will take an offer if you can afford it. Get the paperwork before you do anything.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Hello sport:

Discussing the reasons you HAD to fight the suit, is like discussing the reasons your girlfriend got pregnant. It doesn't matter.

There are no statutes of limitations, but judgments do have a lifetime. If they're not renewed before they die, you're off the hook. However, these bottom feeders look like they're going to dog you for the rest of your life.

I think you're going to have to talk to them. Unless of course, you're still moving from place to place, and don't really have a job or own property - then you can tell 'em to stick it!

excon

Oct 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
    K 3 & excon, thanks for replying. excon, I do have a permanent place to live now and although I don't own anything, not even a car, I do have a job that doesn't pay all that well. That's why I want to get the judgment vacated, so they don't garnish my salary.
    Thanks both for your help,
    Sportster
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 06:48 PM
    There is no statute of limitation. Certainly I would demand copies of any and all pertinent documentation from the attorney who sent you the letter. Ultimately you'll probably need to consult with your own attorney who can advise you on how best to get this straightened out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 06:22 AM
    The fact that you repeatedly ignored letters and attempts to collect is NOT going to sit well with a judge. Its too late for you, but ignoring a debt does NOT make it go away.

Yes you can and need to demand proof of this debt. But not reading the fine print is also not an excuse.

You really need to consult an attorney about your rights here.

Oct 4, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Thank you all for your replies.You were all helpful in letting me realize I should consult a lawyer.
    Thanks again

Sportster

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AT&T Judgment - NY [ 5 Answers ]

I just received a letter in the mail that I owe AT&T $5,300.00 which was five years previous. Now I had relocated out of the State of New York for the past eight months and just returned. How much time would I have to dispute this judgment? Can they freeze my bank account or garnish my wages for...

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Vacating a Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

In Feb 2004 I disputed and then closed a CC account. It looks like that credit card company filed a case against me where I used to live(Texas). I am currently out of the country, I left the States in Jue 2005. The case was filed 4 months after I left the states, (Sept 2005). Should I hire...

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

View more questions Search