Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Pluto, Not A Planet?
    Just recently Pluto has been disqualified as a planet with our solar system. Can any of you experts explain to me how or why this was determined?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 1, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Please refer to this thread. It may give you what you are looking for.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamez
    Just recently Pluto has been disqualified as a planet with our solar system. Can any of you experts explain to me how or why this was determined?

The criterion they use is eccentricity of orbit, and its distance from the sun.
    Its orbit doesn't follow the usual orbital plane but comes in at a highly elliptical angle making it appear cometary as it loops in nearer than Neptune and then loops out beyond it again. It's composed of mostly ice and rocks and has only 1/5 the mass of Earth's moon. Its distance momentarily places it within the Kuiper Belt where comets are said to originate. Its size is not unique in that area since other objects of similar size have been discovered the Trans-Neptunian object Eris for example, which like Pluto also has a moon with its moon, Dysnomia, is larger. So in order to avoid having to call all these objects planets as well they opted on disqualifying Pluto.

Pluto
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto

Trans-Neptunian Objects
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Neptunian_object

BTW
    Fourteen objects of considerable size have been found after Pluto.
    If we include Eris as a planet because it is bigger than Pluto, then we have a ten planet Solar system. To which I say, why not?

Nix and Hydra, are also moons of Pluto.

Yes, I don't see why the solar system planets have to be limited to the present nine. If there are one hundred other planets out there the size of Pluto or bigger then call them planets. At the very least either, make an exception of Pluto or include only Pluto sized objects or larger as planets.
    If indeed Pluto was unacceptable as a planet due all the factors mentioned above, then why didn't they disqualify it before? So it seems to me as if the disqualification had more to do with the discovery of additional planets than with Pluto itself.

http://www.lowell.edu/users/buie/pluto/planetdefn.html

In my opinion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

Should Pluto Remain Categorized as a planet? [ 24 Answers ]

Some astronomers have decided to demote Pluto and simply call it a Kuiper Belt object. What is your opinion. I personally see no harm in letting Pluto retain its planet status. Maybe the criteria for this classification should be size and distance. We might try using Pluto's farthest orbital...

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

Shape of planet orbits [ 1 Answers ]

Why is the shape of most planet's orbits elliptical?

View more questions Search