Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottcerveny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 05:24 PM
    17 HP Hohler Engine Loping
    I have a 17 HP Kohler engine on my riding mower. It all of the sudden started loping. If I take the air filter off anf hold a gas can by the carb, it straightens out just from the fumes. Why do engines lope?:(
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 05:31 PM

Sound like a carburetor problem. I would start with filter, jets, choke circuit(a good cleaning). Don't just turn Idle or air screws to avoid correcting that later. Fuel. Water in fuel?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 12:29 AM

Causes here could be is a partial blockage of the main jet. That's for bowl type carburetors only. Stop the fuel flow to the carburetor (pinch off the line )

On kohlers the carb jet is attached to the center post of the carburetor. Some are cast in and others are screwed in. Blow this hole out and blow up the center post to clean the main nozzle. Use compressed air or carburetor cleaner.

Another culprit here could be a leaking intake gasket.

See if carb is loose and the manifold connection at the block.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs engine loping how do I fix this [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 25hp briggs engine. I rebuilt the carburator but the engine still has a lope when running .can someone give me a hand. Shpdog1:confused:

99 honda civic, engine light blinking, engine start jumping. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was driving home, my car start shaking, then I stopped and turn the engine off. When I started back up, the engine still little jumpy and the engine light start blinking. Did any body knows what's going on? Please help. Thanks

My 16 hp vanguard engine made a terrible racket inside the engine no longer runs, why [ 2 Answers ]

Mower was running fine, started making a noise inside engine, lost power, noise returned, and engine died. No longer will start, just spins. Is the engine trashed or possibly fixable?

Impossible of change v6 engine to EX engine in honda 1997 model [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to change v6 engine in honda 1997 model Ex engine (V-TEC) and what are the possible components that will change

View more questions Search