Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topgirl027 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 11:38 AM
    My staffordshire bull terrier is weeing every where
    I have got a 8 month old male staffordshire bull terrier and all of a sudden he has started weeing all over my house and I don't know why can any one help as it is driving me mad :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 04:32 PM

First course of action is to bring a fresh, midstream sample (preferably first pee of the day) to your vets. A lot of times these things are caused by infection.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 20, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Infection is a great start to look at. If it is not that, It could be that he is marking. I had a staffordshire do the same thing and Turns out he was marking! If this is so the best option is to neuter him or put him on a very strict potty regimen. I did the potty regimen and it worked! Hope this helps!
    peterslis Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 05:04 PM

Always rule out a UTI or bladder infection, he is 8 months old, and it is rutting season, is there another dog, I breed the bully breed, and when they start their rutting (sexual hormonal experiences) they will mark, mark, and mark to hell, you will just need to get it under control, crate, then let out, crate, then let out, walk exercise, do not free feed, be sure that he is not drinking more than 4 cups of water a day, they do not need more than that, and remove the water about an hour before you bedtime, that way you can let him out, and he will be completely emptied out before you lay down. If there is another dog, then you need to control his territory, so he cannot take over by marking, it will end...

May 21, 2009, 08:27 PM

I agree with sariss... never ever withhold water from a dog. They should always have clean cool water to drink.

May 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover3 View Post
    I agree with sariss...never ever withhold water from a dog. They should always have clean cool water to drink.
    Withholding water and controlling them from over drinking which dogs do, because they use it as a cooling off method, is a good way for them to have their bodies adjust to they way they utilize the fluids, maintain good bladder control and avoid having to hold it too long... this applies to dogs that are urinating in the home, all over, and are not outside all the time... if you are working and gone all day, is it far to let you dog drink a bunch of water, and then leave, when they are in the home? No this is was causes them to get bad infections, and not train properly... with holding water, is when you keep them from it, controlling water is when you make sure that you are giving them enough, but keeping them on a good schedule.

May 22, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover3 View Post
    I agree with sariss...never ever withhold water from a dog. They should always have clean cool water to drink.
    Animals are adaptable, like humans, when we eat too much, we get fat and lazy, instinctively animals like to work for their food, but then they were born outside, so if they needed to drink water and piss they could at will, but when you domesticate an animal and bring them into your home, your territory, you have to help them establish a setting that they can work in, if you go to bed at 10pm, and your dog drinks water at 10pm, guess what you are being woken up at 2am because they cannot hold it, or you are forcing them to hold it, and then potentially causing them to pee in the house, or you are just being mean, by making them hold it, my dogs come up to me and sit in front of me wagging their tails at 5pm every day, they can count on me, by 9pm at night, the water is gone, my 10:30pm at night they are being let out for their last relief time, at 6am we all slept great, and its time for a quick walk and outside time before my whole family has to leave to start their day, the dogs not only are relieved, they were able to sleep good, count on morning time, and have a good relaxing day in the house or outside in the kennel... by 9pm now, they don't even drink the water, there is an outside bucket, but our schedule is very routine and they know what they can count on.

May 22, 2009, 09:45 AM

A dog over the age of two can hold its urine for 8 hours! Water should never be withheld from a dog. Don't withhold water from your dog. Talk to an actual vet and they will say the same thing!
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 03:19 PM

My dogs have access to water at all hours, even in the middle of the night. They've never had issues holding their urine, unless they have had an infection. My little dinky 5 pound Chihuahuas can hold it fine..
    topgirl027 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 03:27 PM
    [QUOTE=topgirl027;1746620]I have got a 8 month old male staffordshire bull terrier and all of a sudden he has started weeing all over my house and I don't know why can any one help as it is driving me mad and he has been castrated:)

May 23, 2009, 06:32 PM

Have u taken him to the vet for tests?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 08:02 AM

Could be a lot of things...

Territorial marking if he hasn't been neutered.

A urinary tract infection.

Just needs to be retrained.

Doing it out of spite if anything at home has changed (longer working hours, new pets etc)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bull Mastif / Staffordshire Bull Terrier Under Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dog is half Bull Mastiff and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and has a good appetite but it doesn't seem to matter much we feed him he still looks underweight, we've also had him wormed and the vets say that he is in very good shape and that the weight will come. He is 7 months and very big in...

What can I give my staffordshire bull terrior? [ 3 Answers ]

My staff has been really ill, she was poisened with rat poisonin an she had/ has a stomach ulcer which she is on medication for, she also had long worm, she is recovering really nicely an eating very well, but she is still really underweight, her ribs, spine an hip joint bones are still visible,...

Staffordshire Terrier [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new puppy. She's a Staffordshire Terrier. She's going to be 8 weeks old on Monday. I've done a tad bit of research on them, but want some personal experience from some folks. So please give me some tips and advice. My main concern is that she is the runt and she was...

Concerned.. . Staffordshire Terrier acting very strange. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have a male Staffordshire Terrier and a female Chihuahua at home. I know this is an odd combination. My husband brought the Staff into the marriage and I brought the Chi. Both have been fixed. The dogs have lived under the same roof for about 5 years now. Normally the Staff is...

Staffordshire bull terrier puppy [ 6 Answers ]

We have just bought a staff puppy, the breeder told us she was 8 weeks old but we now know she is only 5 weeks old. She is very lethargic, doesn't walk well and we don't know what to feed her. Please can you help us.? Also, what will she drink?? Thanks. J

View more questions Search