Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

May 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Discrimination or useful commentary
    I work for a Healthcare group. We often have meetings to discuss trends There is a large company that is located in a predominately african american community and several times on this call one of the presenters referred to this group as "those people". Several other times the presenter said "they need to be educated because they are not very educated" "which could explain the lower response and compliance rates" he also said "they don't stay in their jobs very long" there is most likely a very high turn over rate"

I want to know
    Am I extremely sensitive or what? I think there is a more politically correct way of referring to a group of people other than "

I want to know
    Am I extremely sensitive or what? I think there is a more politically correct way of referring to a group of people other than ".
    I don't think it matters much that it was African Americans it could have been hispanics, I think it is all in how you say it. The attitude around the message is imperative as well when you are speaking to a mass of people you need to be a lot more considerate with how you present your message so as not to offend. Also what's the norm on making generalizations with regard to certain ethnicities?
    THOUGHTS?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 20, 2009, 12:07 PM

Could be simply the presenters way of talking. We can't all be golden tongued

Personally I think you are a bit over sensitive. However, everybody seems to be sensitive these days so perhaps the question should be: Is the presenter's manner of speech keeping others from getting the point of his talks because they are worried about how he says things instead of what he said? If so, then perhaps a word of advise to him is in order.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2009, 10:20 AM
    I would like to consider the presentor's way of expressing his thoughts as irresponsible and careless.

If someone stands up to address his concerns, it is his reponsibility to uplift the moral of the listeners and never to degrade someone. There is always a nicer way in saying what you want to express. Nobody knows how people feel if they are not addressed the respect due them. I'm sure he would not like it if he is to be treated as such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

Is this discrimination? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Angela and I have worked at a dine-in pizza restaurant for a little over 2 years now. My current posisition is Shift Manager and I had been getting roughly 30 hours a week, give or take a few each week. I am also 36 weeks pregnant as of today, and have been working throughout my...

Age Discrimination [ 12 Answers ]

At work we transport developmentally disabled persons. Our vehicle insurance company has given us a Risk Management to follw, when hiring drivers. No one over the age of 65 and they want them to be preferred 23-25. Isn't that the high risk age? Is this age discrimination? Everyone does it, but I...

Age discrimination [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you all, Not happy about your answers but there were very helpful.

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search