Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhigmama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 11:24 AM
    I have a criminal record. Can I still go into forensics?
    I am now 21 yrs old. I do not have a high school diploma, but earned my GED as soon as I turned 18. (I had tried to go back to school, and couldn't) I caught a misdemeanor theft charge in February '08. I have always wanted to go into the field of Forensics. I don't only "like the CSI shows", I am very passionate about forensic science in general. I know what I have to major/minor in, as well as some schools that offer degrees in Forensics. What I want to know is if I can go into a field of forensics with a criminal background. By the tme I earn my degree it will have been almost 7 yrs since my conviction. Does anyone know the answer to my question? Thanks so much...
    bedford2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 07:28 AM

You can't attend a University with a GED. You have to start at a community college and then transfer. I community college should for no reason reject you!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford2009 View Post
    You can't attend a University with a GED. You have to start out at a community college and then transfer. I community college should for no reason reject you!
    Wrong! You can attend a Unversity with a GED. My cousin just graduated with NYU with a GED. The OP will have to take SAT and try to score high. Now, if you go to a community college you don't have to take a SAT (well at least when I went).

To the OP, maybe you should call the review board to see what their requirements are. If it is a case by case review then you might have a chance.
    bedford2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Well I had to go to a community college for at least a year first.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

May 31, 2009, 04:48 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the OP was asking if he would stand a chance at being hired with his current criminal record. As he says "What I want to know is if I can go into a field of forensics with a criminal background?" :D

I don't know the answer, but was just hoping to put the answers on the right track
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    I could be wrong, but i think the OP was asking if he would stand a chance at being hired with his current criminal record. As he says "What I want to know is if I can go into a field of forensics with a criminal background?" :D

I don't know the answer, but was just hoping to put the answers on the right track
    I know and understand what the OP was asking because I can read. :-O

If this job have a board then you can call them to ask "what are their policies". If not, then it is totally up to the employer because all jobs do backgrounds check and some even do a credit check.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

May 31, 2009, 05:17 PM

Isn't reading great :)

And I just remembered that for my state (Michigan) You can't have any felonies (even if expunged) if you want to be employed by a police station. So most likely you might be fine, but don't lie about anything during any interviews.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2009, 07:29 PM

The misdemeanor will hurt your some, if there is one opening and 200 people applying, anyone without a criminal record will be one step ahead.

Also despite the TV show there are not a lot of job openings, most cities don't have any unit of their own, Most smaller departments the police officer takes all the evidence thierself, and takes it to the department to be sent to a state crime lab.

Also in those departments that have, the jobs are divided by the collection teams and the lab teams.

You may end up having to even work as a police officer somewhere for a while while waiting on some positions to open
    notthat14u2no Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 05:58 PM
    depending on what state you were arrested/convicted in, has a big part in whether you can even take the classes for forensics... in az, they don't exspounge--they cahnge your plee from guilty to inocent. The charge is still there so who ever runs a credit/history check will see you were at least suspeted of the crime.you can take most of the classes but if you history check OR/AND your fingerprint clearance card don't come through clean than I would start thinking about pi work or anthropology stuff... that's what I'm doing. If you find a better way let me know please!? thanks and good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can you do with a criminal record? [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of jobs can you possibly receive with a criminal record? And if you move to another state and you apply for a job will your record show in that state also?

Does a criminal record go away? [ 4 Answers ]

My mom was involved in a domestic dispute over 10 years ago, she was charged with assault but they never specified that it was domestic (between her and her boyfriend). Does she need a pardon or does it get cleared after so many years?

Do I have a criminal record? [ 10 Answers ]

I was caught with some items in my stroller with my son in a grocery store but no police were called down to the store. I was let go after some paperwork with the store and was told I couldn't shop there for 6 months. Its been a year since this incident and nothing else has become of it and I'm...

Do you have a criminal record [ 3 Answers ]

If you got caught shoplifting at a first offense took the theft class and were no convicted do you have a criminal record

Criminal Record? [ 1 Answers ]

In Toronto Canada I got the appearance notice for theft under and cop allow me to go (no arrest), on appearance day my charge was withdrawn and asked me to pay to charity. My question is will I be having criminal record? I am 26 year old.

View more questions Search