Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Accounting policies
    Are these policies by a firm reasonable according to GAAP?

1) 2 managers spent almost all of their time supervising the construction and development of a hotel and training its staff. When the buildling was completed, the building, plus the managers' wages were capitalized as the cost of the building.

I would think this policy is reasonable, assuming that the presence of the managers was necessary to get the building up and running.

2) A firm capitlized its operating expenses as "preopening costs" until the operating cash flow broke even. The balance in the "preopening costs" account was equal to operating expenses less revenue.

I don't think its reasonable because don't operating expenses HAVE to be expensed immediately?

One other thing... under what conditions can advertising costs be capitalized?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2006, 07:07 PM
    I agree with your assessments on the 2 points.

As to your question, “under what conditions can advertising costs be capitalized?”……

One condition is that if the advertising was a required necessary to acquire something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

On January 1, 2002 Fulbrite Services Inc. purchased a new machine for $600,000. The machine had an estimate useful life of eight years and a salvage value of $150,000. Fulbrite elected to depreciate the machine using the double declining balance method. ON January 1, 2005, the company decided...

Accounting [ 2 Answers ]

Required: Using the direct method, convert the company’s income statement to a cash basis. December 31 2002 2001 Cash $ 4 7 Accounts Receivable 36 29 Inventory 75 61 Plant and equipment 210 180 Accumulated depreciation (40) ...

Accounting help [ 11 Answers ]

Audry, age 38 and single, earned a salary of $59,000. She had interest income of $1,600 and had a $2,000 long-term capital loss from the sale of a stock investment. Audry incurred the following employment-related expenses during the year: Transportation $5,500 Meals 2,800 Lodging 4,200...

Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in managerial accounting and if anyone could be of help, I'd really appreciate it... here are some problems I have no clue how to solve: Shipping costs at Fisheries Inc. are a mixed cost with a variable and fixed cost components. Records indicate the company shipped 6000 tons of...

View more questions Search