Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinpadalino Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Air handler freezing
    I went on a service call today. The homeowner said the condenser runs but the air handler doesn't and eventually the condenser freezes. When I got there everything was working fine, I replaced the fan relay because it controls the fan. The air handler is about 25 years old, If that doesn't work any suggestions?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:41 PM

Your best bet is to get there next time it freezes. You will probably find that the airhandler is actually running, but there is no air coming out because the coil is frozen in the air handler. Did you check the charge in the system. I hope your fix works. If it doesn't, let us know and we will try to help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 05:49 PM

I am sure that this is not the right answer but you always have to look for the unexpected.

I have gone on calls where the points in the contactor have stuck together and made the compressor not shut off. Therefore making the evap coil freeze over, and this did not happen every time, but it happened over and over. I finally changed the contactor and the problem stopped.

Of course there is always the chance that the air handler is cutting out on the internal protector.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 05:57 PM
    All good suggestions. How long were you there? Did you check the blower motor amps, by chance? Sometimes a bad motor can run for a while before overheating and stopping.

May 20, 2009, 04:03 PM

Let me just say this is a great site to be on. Amp reading was 1.8 to 1.5 on fan motor is that OK? So far so good no call back. I told the home owner that if it happened again I would replace motor. 68 on low side 125 on high side.

May 20, 2009, 05:38 PM

I meant 225 on hi side, my bad!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Also could be a very dirty clogged up a-coil,, was the filter clean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

Air handler [ 1 Answers ]

The fan on my Trane air handler continues to run even after the thermostat is turned to off. I have to shut the breaker on the air handler.

Air handler freezing - leaking freon [ 1 Answers ]

My air handler keeps freezing up & leaking freon. Is there a way to fix it? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump. When the air conditioner comes on it sounds normal then after a few seconds I hear like a swooshing noise coming from the air handler in the attic. It makes the noise then stops then few seconds later does it again.and keeps doing that every time.We had to have freon put in the...

View more questions Search