Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlarsen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
    To LCOHIO,
    Our private water company was adamant that we pay for the 240,000 gallons of water - which we did NOT use. I got the media involved. The local ABC station came to the house and did a story - two local (small) newspapers wrote front page stories about the water usage. We basically made the owner of the private water company look like a greedy fool. The meter definitely malfunctioned. It was a Sensus Meter. I spoke with one of their engineeers outside of Pittsburgh, PA. I believe his name was Scott. The private water company eventually sent our meter back to Sensus for an evaluation and their evaluation was that the meter probably malfunctioned because of dirt in the lines. It was at that point, the owner of the water company said we didn't have to pay him. So - that's what worked for us. I recommend getting the media involved. Good luck!
    LCOhio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Comment on jlarsen's post
    Thanks so much! Our water is provided by the city and they are going to send our meter off for testing - I paid them $150 for what I felt was normal usage but am waiting for the test results before settling up the rest! Thanks again!
    MM21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 05:56 PM
    My meter jumped 4500 gallons in 24 hours and there is no leak at all as a professional guy just checked. And now it works at regular speed ! What happened? I was in touch with the customer service during this time and 6 days showed 700 gallons but last night it jumped 4500 gallons! I am terrified.. Can anyone change numbers? Or meter malfunctions? But then why only yesterday while I was working with customer service? Why it never happened before and not happening now?

I have a very strange situation.
    I was taking reading on almost everyday to see how fast the numbers are moving.
    2 days later it showed 200 Gallons
    6th days 700 gallons which is too high since we did not do laundry and used dishwasher just 1 or 2 times

I kept making conversation with customer service

Then on 7th day it jumped 4500 gallons!! I was shoked ! Customer service said there must be a huge water leak.. I called a professional and he shut off main line and meter stopped! He said this means there is no outside leakage
    Then turned on to check all toilets and checked everywhere inside and found one very negligible leak in one toilet which was slightly overflowing, like just you can wet you finger... so it was very small... worst case it can add 1 or 2 gallons a month...

So, the question now is, how can it jump 4500 gallons in 24 hours?

Any of your help is highly appreciated...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2012, 08:36 PM
    That's a considerable jump in reading. Are you sure you interpreting numbers on water meter dials correctly ? Most of the time, meters are reliable and give you good read outs.

If that happened in my house, I would check my water main between meter and house first. Also, if you have irrigation system at your property, water main may T-off underground away from your water main - but before it reaches house -- and than continue to the opposite side of the main structure to reach irrigation valves.

Meter would be the last thing I would question.

Do the following test: Turn Off main water valve at the side of your house while leaving water meter turned ON - meaning, water main will remain under pressure. Go to the meter and see if it is registering water flow.

Back to you. Milo

I see you posted same question under two different posts with the other post being under discussion. However, do the test I suggested anyway. You want to be sure there is no leak on your side of the meter. Back to you. Milo
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Water meters count air too, unfortunately.

Toilets, washer water inlet valves, water backed up sump pumps, Water heater over temp/pressure valves and pranksters are a possibility.

A quick check, flow through a 3/8 orifice with 60 PSI is about 1300 gph, so in about 4 hours you used a lot of water.

The toilet float could have stuck. Inspect the tank for possible tangles.

There are fill valves which won't generally stick if the flapper doesn't seat or gets tangled. That's what I used the last time.

Rocks in the water line from flushing can also cause issues with the valve.

That's just some ideas.

Nov 1, 2012, 03:14 AM
    Thanks for great info. I have a city / county provides services. I am anxiously waiting today's reading. It still shows that I have used only 30 gallons!! I have an irrigation system but I keep it OFF. Today's reading will tell if its malfunctioning. I plan to go see the manager in county... lets see what happens.

My meter is like Odometer - manual reading.

I am thinking to install cameras around the house now to prevent any theft if there is any. Also, putting a lock on my out side outlets, and wonder if I can lock the lid of my water meter and let the guy knock my door when he comes. Request city to review my case. Take second opinion to check any leaks.

Similar thing happened in my last home... bills slowly went higher and got a huge last bill when moved out then new owner got normal bills for 2 years so far !

As I understand, city / county can argue that I may have left something open all day and all night ! Or may be someone stole your water ! So one time spike is difficult to prove ! And it can happen every month as well if you think logically ! I don't mean people are crooks but trying to find the real reason and fairness.
    I don't even live 4-5 days a week in the house. So I know something definitely went wrong in last 24 hours.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2012, 06:42 AM
    I would contact the city and request that they replace your meter and take the old one in to be checked. What makes you think someone's tapped into your line and is stealing your water?
    here is no leak at all as a professional guy just checked.
    no leaks in the house and the irrigation system is shut off. My take is that your meter developed a glitch and slipped a cog. Please keep us informed of any more develops Good luck, Tom

Nov 3, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    I see you posted same question under two different posts with the other post being under discussion. However, do the test I suggested anyway. You wanna be sure there is no leak on your side of the meter. Back to you. Milo
    Sorry, I replied in other thread...

Here...

My meter jumped 4500 gallons in 24 hours and there is no leak at all as a professional guy just checked. And now it works at regular speed ! What happened? Why it never happened before and not happening now?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Does anyone know about air going through the meter instead of water?
    I don't think that's it and here's why. To kick the reading up 240,000 gallons you would see compressed air shoot out of every cold water tap every time you turned it on. But you already know this. My bet's still on a faulty meter, I would do what I did when I had the same problem. I waited a month and the took the months bill before the excessive use, That bill and the bill the month after witch was normal. Since I don't have a swimming pool or a sprinkler system they saw my average usage and adjusted the bill.
    I like Milos idea of going public. Put some heat on the greedy Water Company. Good luck, Tom
    bmauk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Hi. I am having a similar problem... haven't had the meter tested but have verified that there are no leaks for the last 2 months. The utility insists we have used 130000 gallons in one quarter when we usually use 10,000. County employees we need to create a leak and have a plumber certify that it is fixed to get a rebate. I hate to do that... what if the meter malfunctions again? And I hate to have the meter tested... what if it doesn't malfunction again? Water workers say the analog numbers can occasionally stick together--the tens to the hundredths place or something? What happened in your case? My bill is $1500.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To have water meter replaced and water tuned back on [ 1 Answers ]

This is a small 16 family condo in Sanford Florida I had an issue where my HOA president in sanford Florida my tenant of having multiple families in a 2 bedroom condo. The tenant and myself responded to the HOA and let them know that it was not so. He then had a lawyer write to me and charged me...

Water Meter [ 13 Answers ]

My water meter has been running up huge charges, and is twice - three times what it should be. Searched everywhere for leaks, but there are none. A guy told me that if we have air in the lines, this could cause our meter to false read. Now we do have air in the lines. You can hear it as it comes...

Sparks at the water meter [ 6 Answers ]

The previous (pretty old) thread on this subject didn't really answer the question, so: I just disconnected a ground wire that runs between my main breaker box and the cold water (copper) line. The disconnect was at the water line, and significant sparks fly every time I touch the ground wire...

View more questions Search