Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

May 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Termite company falsely claims no live activity
    We live in Chicago, IL. We bought our house in OCT '05 and received the termite inspection showing there was evidence of an old issue with subterrean termites in one area of our basement, but that there was no evidence of live activity. In APR '06, we started seeing what turned out to be swarmers and called the company that did the termite as there was a warranty given. They came out and inspected and treated. We were told that seeing swarmers doesn't mean there is live subterrean termite activity. We didn't know much about termites so we believed this 'expert'. Each Spring we have the same problem with swarmers in one area of an interior basement wall and each spring since '06, we call the company and they come and do a treatment. This year, we received a notice that our warranty was up and it would cost $350 to renew for a year. We had no idea how much these things typically cost, so we decided to shop around. We called Terminix and Orkin to see what they would tell us. Both said that we certainly do have live termite activity and in fact, there is activity in some wood joist re-enforcements we put in last summer.

We called the original company and the same guy came out to inspect. I had told him on the phone that we had brought in two other companies and both had seen new activity. I also said that swarmers mean live activity and that he'd been telling us that wasn't the case, etc. He came out to inspect. I told my husband - who was home at the time - not to hold his hand and show him the new activity, but to let us see what the guy found. Again, he said that there was nothing live. My husband showed him the spots that were new. Suddenly he says he can do a treatment, etc.

We then receive a notice about a week later saying they did the last inspection on our property which closes out the warranty that we had and that there was no evidence of live activity at our residence.

While we understand that Terminix and Orkin are chain companies and may try to get us to do some extra work at a higher cost, surely the fact that they both independently saw live activity makes it clear we have a problem here.

My question: Can we sue the original company for saying there was no live activity and have them pay for the work we need done to treat the areas? It definitely makes us question the report they submitted for us to buy this home as well.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mulattomama View Post
    Can we sue the company for saying there was no live activity and have them pay for the work we need done to treat the areas? It definitely makes us question the report they submitted for us to buy this home as well.
    Hello m:

Yes. But, you're going to need a real estate lawyer to do it. I'd visit one TODAY.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a new business activity under existing LLC company [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There, I am doing business of IT consulting under a LLC company for last few years. I want to start a new business activity of Tax and Management consulting under the same business name. My question is :- Can I just start the new business? Is there any other compliance that I need to...

Can I pursue a Small Claims Case in Texas if I live in NM [ 3 Answers ]

I lived in Texas. I lent a friend (former friend) $1000 6 months ago and he has been avoiding me ever since and has not paid back any of it. I sent a letter of intent about 2 weeks ago, registered, so I know he received it and have heard nothing. I had planned to file in small claims court, but...

Discovery Small Claims Collection Company Documentation [ 2 Answers ]

On the pre-trial statement in a lawsuit filed by a debt collection company they stated that they would complete discovery within 60 days and they listed all the items they had. This time has since passed. The case has gone to trial which is this Tuesday. Just this past Thursday they subpoenaed a...

What are creditor's claims on the assets of a company called? [ 5 Answers ]

Net loss, expense or liability?

How to take a company to small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

I didn't have much luck in 2004 with cars. We bought a car from my brother in Feb 2004 It needed work on it so we took it to Canadian Tire, At the time they put in a new battery and altinator and fixed the exhaust. They fixed the exhaust from the muffler up to the front of the engine. We were...

View more questions Search