Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giseledias Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Heart complication
    My uncle is 64 and has a severe heart problem and diabetes for the last 21 years. For the diabetes he is on insulin twice a day. His heart blockages have increased to apx 80 to 100% and heart functioning rate is just a 15 to 18%. Also he has been on a pace maker since the last 8 years. The pacemaker has a life of around 9-10 yrs and is one which is used for retired, low activity people. Now given the weak condition of his heart, most doctors are not willing to take his case as they feel a bypass would be extremely high risk for him. He is getting severe breathing problems and cannot walk for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. That too he has to walk very slowly. Kindly suggest what should be done in this case. He is taking all medicines on time. Is there any kind of a treatment that can bring at least some improvement for him. It is only getting difficult day by day. Kindly suggest some appropriate treatment or tests.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 05:54 AM

This question is best answered by Physicians, in part due to his Diabetes.

Has he asked for a second opinion concerning the bypass?

I don't know where you are living but you have stated that your family is well off - it might be necessary for your Uncle to travel to another City or even another Country (if he can get clearance to fly) for that second opinion/diagnosis.

The fact that he is on insulin twice a day is rather meaningless without knowing his numbers.

My husband was diabetic, had 3 heart attacks and was also not a candidate for bypass UNLESS all other avenues were exhausted.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 02:28 PM

Just a few thoughts... I wonder if he has kept hisi sugar levels at a correct low level for all these years...

I think you should travel to ChicagoLand and have an evaluation by a young, top-qualilty cardiologist HE or she will tell you the truth about the risk of surgery; then, do the surgery if he wants to take the risk.

Be sure and do this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 05:48 PM

Why do you only recommend Chicago? There are several wonderful hospitals which specialize in cardiology, diabetes... or both?

Is OP in US? Hard to tell because the post is over a month old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical complication w/ 96' caravan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 96 dodge caravan, it cranks but doesn't start a friend looked and said it was an electrical problem and that the "brain" or power box was not getting current from the battery and we tried to jump and change the battery... can anyone help me?? :confused:

Kitten won't come out all the way, what do I do? Birthing complication [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 3 kittens last night starting at 4:00pm. She just started to give birth to a 4th kitten that is not alive and she hasn't pushed the baby all the way out for over an hour. How do I help her to get the baby out without killing my cat? I have no money and cannot go to a clinic for help.

Complication with Stimules Payment [ 2 Answers ]

I have just realized that my wife can get SSN, but unfortunately I applied for her ITIN this year and filed Federal and State taxes and received refund too. Now my question is if I apply for SSN now; 1) Can I file amended Tax Return for Federal and State Tax just to change SSN inplace of ITIN....

Is Insulin Dependent Diabetes a complication or Comorbidities? [ 3 Answers ]

Is Insulin Dependent Diabetes a complication or comorbidities?

H1B Taxes, Canada & US income tax complication [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me out with this tax situation. 1) I was employed Mar-Sept 2007 in Toronto, Canada. I entered US with H1B starting Oct 2007 (hence less than 183 days for 2007 Calendar year) How should I go about doing my taxes, i.e. filing Canada, US or both? What are my options?...

View more questions Search