Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Economic markets
    What do you think this statement means: "economic markets are immoral" Here's what I think:

They are objective, and driven only by market forces. That means that they put things like efficiency and profits ahead of humanitarian needs or personal comfort and happiness. In other words, market forces function in a kind of "bubble" where morality doesn't even exist.

What do you think the statement means?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 30, 2006, 06:45 PM
    That statement had to be made by a dyed in the wool Marxist, who clings to the disproved theories of Karl. Economic Market Forces are dispassionate and allocate resources to their highest and best use. In the short run, individuals are hurt by the movements of the market. In the long term, society as a whole, is better off.

Sep 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
    I'm kind of confused. How would the economy or people in it be worse off in the short run and then better in the long run? Can you give me some type of example to clear this idea up?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2006, 07:57 PM
    I agree with your assessment on how economic markets don't take humanitarian needs into account, but rather efficiency and profits.

If companies were judged on humanitarian needs, would NIKE be doing as well as they are? With their 3rd world shoe operations, NIKE is the only one that quickly comes to mind, but unfortunately so many companies do it.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 30, 2006, 08:57 PM
    A classic example of short term harm would be the demise of the horseshoe manufacturer during the advent of the auto age. Captain Forest's excellent example of Nike, shows that thirld world countries are more able to make tennis shoes at a profit than the US. The loss of jobs in the US tennis shoe business forces displaced workers to seek employment in a more technologicaly advanced sector of the economy, that should benefit societyas a whole. The loss of a lifelong job by a breadwinner can be devastating to that family, but that is the way of life.

Oct 1, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Ohh... I think I get it.
    How's this for an example? Let's say wal-mart moves into a small town. Short-term losses are unemployment resulting from the closing of small nearby businesses. Long term benefits are:
    - greater tax revenue for gov'ts (can spend on social services)
    - need to seek more advanced jobs by the newly unemployed
    - leads to greater investment and ultimately consumption
    - leads to improved standard of living.

I think I'm in the same general boat as you guys. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Short Story Sci Fi Markets [ 2 Answers ]

Which is the best Sci Fi magazine for fledgling writers to submit their first short-story manuscripts to.

How can I make the Economic class more fun? [ 3 Answers ]

We are going to have a economic presentation (actually it is basically like a teaching periods, which means I have to teach the whole class about economic for two periods) My topic is "inflation and unemployment" I am planning that if we can do some games or activities to keep class to forcus. ...

Digital Art markets. [ 3 Answers ]

Where is te best place online to sell digital art? BTW I found an excellent place: Here is my gallery at that location. http://www.yessy.com/realms/gallery.aspx

View more questions Search