Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siddu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 03:12 PM
    F1 - H1 - Corrected W2 form
    Hello Atlanta Tax Expert,

In 2005, I was on F1 visa status from Jan through Sept 30 and on H1B in Oct - Dec. From previous discussions on this topic in this forum, I understand that it would not be WRONG for me to fill 1040NR or 1040NREZ and 8843 forms.

Another thing is, I have received a refund of money withheld for SSN and mediare taxes during the period I was on F1. But, as correction I received two W2 forms, one for F1 period and another for H1B period. I am not sure how to deal with this.

I am confused now Not sure what forms should I use.

Please advise.

Siddu
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2006, 09:22 AM
    If you are married, you have a choice of filing as a non-resident alien or a resident alien. Filing as a resident alien allows you to claim a double Standard Deduction (for yourself and your spouse) of $10,400 in 2006. Quite an advantage.

If you are single, you have a choice of filing as a non-resident alien or a dual-status alien. The advantages of dual-status are minimal, and it is a LOT easier to file as a non-resident alien.

As for the dual W-2s, combined the incomes from both when you file your tax return, regardless of whether you file resident, non-resident or dual-status.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Just quick tip: just make sure one of those W2 does not have a ticked "corrected" box on top. If one is corrected, toss out the "uncorrected" one and use just the "corrected."

If both don't have that box checked, as per ATE, combine the two.

Vaya
    siddu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
    ATE & vaya

Appreciate your advise and tip!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Box 16 of form W-2 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had one doubt before I call for clarification about it to my HR. The problem is in my w2 form box 16 which should contain income earned from NY state but it shows my total income i.e. it also includes the income which I earned in the state of Texas. If I am not wrong Box 16 should only...

F1-OPT tax form? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was in F1 status upto: sep 31st, 2005. My OPT( Optional Practical Training) started in Oct 2005. Since Oct 2005 I have been working as a contractor. So , Can anyone please tell me what tax form I need to file 1040 (or) 1040NR ? Waiting for the reply, ...

Which tax form?f1-opt-h1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am single and frm india.my status n US stay hv been: f1-5jan-31 dec 2004 f1-1st jan 2005-10 feb 2005 Opt-11 feb 2005-30 sept 2005 h1b visa-1 oct 2005 till date I hv a question about which tax form should I use for tax year 2005 and am I a resident or non-resident alien?also note...

What Tax Form I should use [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. I was on OPT for first 3 months then turned to H1B for the rest of the year. I worked for the same company so I have only one W2 form. I also have some stock in my company that I purchased. I also donated some amount for which I can claim tax exemption. Last year I went...

Which Form? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am confused as to which form to fill. My H1B started in Nov 2004 and bfore that I was on OPT. Also, I originally filed my returns for 2004 using the 1040EZ form, and then later realised that I might have had to use th 1040NR-EZ form. If I am right, how do I proceed. Do I use the 1040X...

View more questions Search