Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pedmed1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Employee HIPPA violation
    We have a good employee that did commit a HIPPA violation. Does the law state that we must fire her once we were made aware of the violation from the patient? If yes, how soon after we are made aware? Can we take other disciplinary actions other than firing since this is the first issue we have ever had from her?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Firstly it is HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Secondly, you can look up the law here. Health Information Privacy

You really should check with your HR department, for the proper action to take.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 03:26 PM

She has to go before a board and be proven first to have committed a HIPPA. You should call the local HIPPA office to find out the proper procedure to go through before any disclipinary action is done.

Go to this website to find out proper procedure:

www.ehow.com/how_4464319_report-hipaa-violation
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    She has to go before a board and be proven first to have committed a HIPPA. You should call the local HIPPA office to find out the proper procedure to go through before any disclipinary action is done.

Go to this website to find out proper procedure:

www.ehow.com/how_4464319_report-hipaa-violation
    Again, it is HIPAA not HIPPA.

Why not go to the source rather than a .com site that may give misleading information?

HIPAA.ORG

Tickle, when I click on the link that you gave, this is what I get...

Oh no! It looks like the page you're trying to find isn't around anymore.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 18, 2009, 03:40 PM

I don't think HIPAA requires termination of employment, especially for a single infraction. Most HIPAA penalties are applied to the organization, not the individual.

Any penalties assessed by HIPAA are assessed after an investigation started after a complaint is filed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Again, it is HIPAA not HIPPA.

Why not go to the source rather than a .com site that may give misleading information?

HIPAA.ORG

Tickle, when I click on the link that you gave, this is what I get....
    Yes, H I P A and not H I P P A. Thank you for pointing that out J-9. I will certainly be more careful in the future so you won't have to correct me.

Tick
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Not necessarily correcting you Tickle, this is a common mistake. I even have to think about it 'cause it's easier to type hippa. :p
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 05:12 PM

Yes those Hippo laws ( OK joking on the name I like mine better) is often a warning for the employee, depending upon the rules of the company and to be honest the seriousness of the event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a questions regarding HIPPA laws. I am a registered nurse. A doctor that I work with daily instructed myself and several others that he had just been told in a message from his mother that she has breast cancer. He was quite upset. After about 30 minutes I was passing by our...

HIPPA violation [ 1 Answers ]

One of my coworkers(we are in medical residency) was hospitalized for the birth of her child and was later told by the hospital that there were multiple (upwards of 20) times that her private medical record was accessed by people from our hospital. Because we are in residency, all residents and...

HIPPA Violation [ 2 Answers ]

We had an employee who quit without a proper notice and is now appealing an Unemployment claim which got denied. She is submitting some documentation to be included in her case. There is a list of about 25 patients that includes their names and phone numbers. She took this list home and has it in...

HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a nurse and I work in the home health care setting. A new patient that I visited with asked me for my phone number as I was leaving. He had a list of phone numbers for other nurses and I added mine to it. I am now being accused of a serious HIPPA violation. Is this in fact wrong? Is it a...

View more questions Search