Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stunnerproof Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Computer stops at a black screen with a flashing cursor
    I have an HP Pavilion 743g. When I turn on my computer, the HP logo flashes on the screen, then it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor. I have tried to hit f8 to put the computer in save mode, but the windows advanced options menu doesn't come up. Also I have hit f10 to do a system recovery, but that menu doesn't com up either. I have a recovery console disk and I typed chkdsk /r in the console, it said something like unrecoverable problem wrong with the hard drive or something. Does anyone know how to fix the black screen with a flashing cursor?
    Honeybee88x Posts: 8, Reputation: 5

Sep 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Is there a disk in any drive? Like a floppy disk or a CD? If there is take it out this may be the problem, or a memorystick or MP3 player. The only time my computer does what you are describing is when I have something in one of the drives and the computer gets confused and tries to boot from them. Hope this helped. Sorry if it doesn't :S
    ebutler12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 06:35 PM

If there is not any thing in the drives you may need to format your hard drive and reinstall everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop mouse won't move cursor on screen [ 5 Answers ]

Using a Toshiba laptop only 1 year old. Turned it back on today and I cannot get the built in mouse to move the cursor on the screen. I can navigate using tab and made it to the Control Panel then Mouse. It did not display anything as far as any mouse driver being installed. How can I get this...

Computer screen distorted [ 3 Answers ]

I need help in getting my computer screen clear. All pictures and backgrounds are distorted. What can I do? Please help if you can. Thanks.

Computer turned on, nothing on screen [ 9 Answers ]

I turned on my comp, power comes on but there isn't anything on screen as if I was away from my computer for a long period. I triple checked all wires, un-plugged and replugged everything, switch new monitor and it won't work. Someone please help me.

Dizziness and eye strain after an hour of watching the computer screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I don't know about you but for me.. working at my computer became a very hard thing to do. After just an hour of working in front of it... I kind of getting dizzy and have different aches right in my both eyes or sometimes even in my head. Did you have similar problems ? How did you...

View more questions Search