Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manojrpillai28 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Carbon steel, mild steel and stainless steel
    What is the difference between carbon steel, mild steel and stainless steel ?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 10:27 AM

Mild steel contains 0.16–0.29% carbon.
    Carbon steel has a carbon content in the range of 0.30–1.70% by weight.
    Stainless steel has a minimum of 11% chromium content by mass.

Only stainless steel does not corrode.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 02:09 PM

There are lots of stainless steels. Steel, by definition is an alloy containing carbon. The different alloyed elements give various steels their properties -- including strength, stiffness, brittleness, corrosion resistance, among others.

"Stainless Steels" don't corrode because one of their alloying metals (usually chromium or molybdenum) forms a passive migrates to the surface of the solid and forms a thin, hard oxide layer that is difficult to get through. In addition, there are electrochemical reasons chromium and some other elements are resistant to corrosion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stainless steel dents [ 9 Answers ]

How do I fix a dent in my stainless steel fridge door?

Cut stainless steel [ 5 Answers ]

How do I cut holes in a stainless steel sink?

Copper or Stainless Steel? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting a new refrigerator - which is best for the ice maker's water line - copper or stainless steel (they both are the same price at Best Buy)? Thanks in advance!

Paint stainless steel [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bathroom fixture that was only available in stainless steel and I need to paint is to match the others. Can I and is there something special I need to do before I paint it?:confused:

STAINless? Steel cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I just had my kitchen completely redone and I think it looks nice. I am now trying to keep it clean but, I got to tell you, I purchased a couple of stainless steel appliances, the microwave and the refrigerator and I am finding it nearly impossible to keep the surfaces clean. No sooner do...

View more questions Search