Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Sep 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Why Go To The Veterinarian when you have Ask Me Help Desk
    Why do people come on answer sites and ask some one they do not even know advice about a pet that have knowing we cannot see their pet, do an X-ray or take blood samples. When they know if it was their child exhibiting these symptoms they would be at the pediatrician immediately. Are these people stupid or cheap? Please help me out here.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 06:47 AM
    It is no different than on the medical boards. There are many there that we can help. But for the most part we do have to refer them to a doctor. I can't see them, I do not know their complete medical and family history and a physical cannot be done, so I cannot be completely accurate.

I believe the answer may be lack of insurace, and pets do not have insurance. Vets and doctors are very expensive. I also think that they may not realize that the "illness" may be serious enough to warrant a visit to the vet.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 2, 2006, 07:34 AM
    I think they come here mostly for reassurance.. hoping one of us will say "hey that happened to us and it's nothing to worry about, the broken bone or the bleeding will stop on it's own... no problem! *S*... if only the world were like that... to me, if your pup is vomiting, bleeding, not moving, limping or not putting weight on a limb... get to a vet fast!! Don't waste time on here...
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 3, 2006, 11:03 PM
    lilfyre,

I've been a pet groomer for a long time and my clients still ask questions of me that they should be asking a veterinarian. It always baffles me when someone asks my opinion on various ailments or tumors, as though shaving poodle feet for 20 years somehow makes me qualified to answer!

I think maybe people think of forums like this as sort of like the "Ask the audience" part of that show "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire". You see what the majority says and assume that the numbers don't lie. Though one would hope that anyone seeking advice online for serious problems has enough common sense to also check with the appropriate professionals in their area.

By the way... L O V E the pig song! I've had guinea pigs for years and think they are just terrific animals. Very underrated pet!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2006, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tre_cani
    lilfyre,

I've been a pet groomer for a long time and my clients still ask questions of me that they should be asking a veterinarian. It always baffles me when someone asks my opinion on various ailments or tumors, as though shaving poodle feet for 20 years somehow makes me qualified to answer!
    the part in bold, made me laugh. =)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Yeah. Those people don't upset me near as much as the people asking basic questions about breeding that would be covered in any book on it. If you haven't read a bunch of books on it, you don't know enough to even consider breeding your dog. See www.petfinder.com

Oct 11, 2006, 04:15 PM
    labman, I could not agree more!

Just like those that won't spay or neuter because they want to breed their 'peek-a-poo', 'cock-a-poo' or any other 'something-a-poo'.

Breeding dogs to make money is preposterous. If you know anything about it, you know that it is never the cash cow that people assume it is.

There's a lot more to breeding dogs than setting up the 'date' between the two animals and then waiting 63 days for your 'merchandise' to arrive.

Real breeders do it for love of the breed and to further the genetically superior traits of a particular dog. Not to make a buck.

Animals are living beings, not dry goods.:o
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2006, 09:27 PM
    I agree that this site should not be used and abused to take the place of a trip to the vets office. It's sad and unfortunate that many pet owners are unaware of the severity that certain symptoms could be caused from. Animals are ingenious when it comes to hiding there suffering and owners may not think it's that big of a deal.
    Thank goodness they do ask... I feel we've all done a good job at advising people to take their pet to the vet, and sometimes people just need that little extra bit of persuasion to do so. Had they not asked their question, the animal could have gone on suffering.
    It would be great if every pet owner knew how important it is to visit the vet, but that's just not the case. I'm happy that there are members who advise people to take their pet to the vet and give possible causes for asked questions - I feel it's the backbone for more the reason to help the owner understand that the only sure way to know what's happening to their pet, is to take them to the vet.
    I also feel that people who opt to not visit the vet because of the cost, should be advised to not own pets because of the simple fact that they cost money. They should be advised that even a free pet cost money. It's unbelievable, but some people just don't know this and unfortunately (for the animal) they have to be told.
    Keep up the good work everyone!!
    Kae
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2006, 09:28 PM
    A little bit of both!

Oct 11, 2006, 09:34 PM
    I also feel that people who opt to not visit the vet because of the cost, should be advised to not own pets because of the simple fact that they cost money. They should be advised that even a free pet cost money.
    Can I get an Amen?
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 12, 2006, 03:47 AM
    amen!!!!!
    pisces_windrider Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I can't even begin to describe how incredibly mad I am.

Well, since everyone else here agrees that this message board is useless, and we should all run to the vets every time our pet has a bad day, I guess I won't even bother to continue my membership.

And yes, you should always have enough money to take your pet to the vet, but what if you want to know what is wrong with them beforehand, so you can discuss and understand treatment options with your vet? And what about people who already went to the vet, and are looking for advice on how to care for their pet?

But we shouldn't ask questions. We should just give all our money to the vets and live in boxes on the streets.

I don't think that the right way to address this issue was to call people stupid and cheap. I hope I am neither, but I chose to use this site to understand my cat's behaviour, before going to the vet. And the vet did nothing, but refer me to a behaviour therapist. I have money for my cats, but I don't have $1000's of dollars. Instead, I got advice on forums, and it's working great. Much better than any therapist, and cheaper, too!

So, I say, all of you who run to the vet when your pet has a sneeze, maybe you are the stupid ones? Even children don't get taken to the doctor's office every time they have a sniffle.

Oct 13, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pisces_windrider
    I can't even begin to describe how incredibly mad I am.

Well, since everyone else here agrees that this message board is useless, and we should all run to the vets everytime our pet has a bad day, I guess I won't even bother to continue my membership.

And yes, you should always have enough money to take your pet to the vet, but what if you want to know what is wrong with them beforehand, so you can discuss and understand treatment options with your vet? And what about people who already went to the vet, and are looking for advice on how to care for their pet?

But we shouldn't ask questions. We should just give all our money to the vets and live in boxes on the streets.

I don't think that the right way to address this issue was to call people stupid and cheap. I hope I am neither, but I chose to use this site to understand my cat's behaviour, before going to the vet. And the vet did nothing, but refer me to a behaviour therapist. I have money for my cats, but I don't have $1000's of dollars. Instead, I got advice on forums, and it's working great. Much better than any therapist, and cheaper, too!

So, I say, all of you who run to the vet when your pet has a sneeze, maybe you are the stupid ones? Even children don't get taken to the doctor's office every time they have a sniffle.
    I don't think that the original poster was referring to questions of odd behavior (or minor health concerns or second opinions, etc).
    I assume that she was referring to the kinds of posts that ask about more serious health issues that should be brought to the attention of a licensed veterinarian.

I might be wrong about the original poster's intent, but I hope that despite one or two people on this forum posting things that you find offensive, you'll stay and contribute.
    It's very likely that you have some field of expertise that you could share with others!:o

EDIT- I should add that those of us working in the animal field for so long sometimes forget that what is common knowledge (and occasionally, common sense) to us is not always common knowledge for others!
    pisces_windrider Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Haha well I do know lots about cats and their weird behaviour now.

And, all right, I relent. It was just the "stupid and cheap" remark that really got me. I work hard for my money, and don't think the vet should get it just because kittie slept an hour longer than usual or ate more/less than usual.

But yes, when your pet is displaying severe symptoms, like severe behaviour change for no reason, constant upbringing of bile, won't eat, etc. then go to the vets. Even if the people on this forum know what the problem is, they cannot send you any medicine or perform the life-saving surgery that might be needed.

So, I guess, all things in perspective? But this is a good place to start if you don't know whether the problem is severe.

I don't think anyone here is stupid or cheap, maybe new to being a pet owner. I am still quite upset over the insinuation that people who come here for advice first are stupid and cheap.

So, maybe in the future, if you have a problem with the people who come here to ask questions, you can either a) not come here yourself, so you don't have to see them, or b) try to state your opinion a little bit more eloquently. You had a very good point, but as soon as someone thinks you are calling them "stupid" and/or "cheap", the defenses are raised.
    Perhaps try something like : "While these forums are good for *minor issues*, pets who are displaying extreme behaviour should be taken to the vet immediately." or "If you cannot afford to take your pet to the vet, don't get one." Instead of directly insulting people...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help desk [ 5 Answers ]

I need to now where I can find any kind of information on help desk such as where can I joun magazines and learn more about the help desk industry and how companies run their help desks??

Help Desk [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have an interview this coming Friday for the position of Help Desk, just wondering what questions do you think will be asked by the interviewer.. Thanks

Help desk [ 8 Answers ]

Instructions Compose an email for each of the following situations. A user emails the helpdesk requesting access to shared drive \\mnthyreportsclinic. This shared drive does not exist, however a shared drive \\monthlyreports does exist. Email the user requesting clarification.

Help desk [ 3 Answers ]

Identify sources of technical support information that can serve as the essential information tool for ICT system support desk?

Desk top set up [ 1 Answers ]

?? How do I delete pictures from the desktop settings

View more questions Search