Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LL2009 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Searching for birth mother by only maiden name
    I was hoping someone could please help me. I am searching for my birth mother. I only have her maiden name, the age she was when she gave birth to me and the address she lived on at the time of my birth... however, that address doesn't exist any more do to 911 address updates but the actual road still exists. I am expecting my first child myself and would love to know a little more about her and maybe even my birth fathers name and some family medical history. If a relationship occurred from finding her I would be fine with that but if she had no interest then that's fine also I just really would like to know a little more about where I come from. Being pregnant with my first child has really made me think a lot about my own birth mother. I have done many searches on the internet but I'm not having much luck, most of them want you to pay and give very little results. I have found out her parent's names but they are deceased now and she herself was also adopted which makes searching even harder. If anyone has any ideas I would GREATLY appreciate it.
    lifewontwait89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 10:52 PM

Well, assuming you're in the US, if you know her age and maiden name you could try going to the courthouse of her residence at the time of your birth to try and get the rest of her name. That'd probably be a good start.

May 17, 2009, 11:00 PM
    I do live in the US but I'm not sure what state she got married in. I had heard after she graduated from high school she moved to either Connecticut, Maine or Mass. And got marriend. I've tried seaching using classmates.com, mylife.com, the people finder one, Facebook and myspace just hoping to find someone with her first middle and last (maiden) name and approx age. It's really driving me crazy.

May 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Searching for my birth mother and having no luck.
    I was hoping someone could please help me. I am searching for my birth mother. I only have her maiden name, the age she was when she gave birth to me and the address she lived on at the time of my birth... however, that address doesn't exist any more do to 911 address updates but the actual road still exists. From what I have heard she moved to either Connecticut, Maine or Mass. After graduating and got married. I am expecting my first child myself and would love to know a little more about her and maybe even my birth fathers name and some family medical history. If a relationship occurred from finding her I would be fine with that but if she had no interest then that's fine also I just really would like to know a little more about where I come from. Being pregnant with my first child has really made me think a lot about my own birth mother. I have done many searches on the internet but I'm not having much luck, most of them want you to pay and give very little results. I have found out her parent's names but they are deceased now and she herself was also adopted which makes searching even harder. If anyone has any ideas I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I have searched using people finder, zaba search, looked on myspace, Facebook, classmates.com random search engines have given no results.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:44 AM

1. contact the adoption agency and ask to leave a letter with your contact information in it in case your birthparents are looking. Your adoptive parents should know which agency they used!
    2. Do the same at the courthouse in the county you were born/adopted in. Again, this is information that your adoptive parents should have.
    3. Register on reunion websites, such as ISSR, adoption.org and adoption.com

Basically, that's about it for what you can do for free. If you're willing to PAY to find her, I suggest hiring a private detective.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

May 18, 2009, 12:15 PM

You can supply the information which you have and someone will be more than willing to assist you in your search.

May 18, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I would appreciate any help I could get with my search. The information that I know so far is...

Her maiden name is: Joyce Ann Boyce

She used to live at : 1025 Boyce Road in Seaford, Delaware 19973 (However, that address doesn't exist any longer do to address changes for 911.

She was pregnant with me in 1985, she was 17 years old at the time of my birth. So that would make her approx. 41 I'm guessing she was born around the year 1968.

She was adopted herself. Her adopted parents are both deceased and their names are:

Her father: (fathers name is accurate from what Jacob Boyce, Harris and Estella's son has told me)
    Harris W. Boyce born July 24, 1911. I believe he passed away in 1996 or 1997 at the age of 86. He also lived at the 1025 Boyce Road address in Seaford, Delaware.

Her mother:
    Estella V. Boyce (later became Estella V. Flood)
    She lived in Seaford until she married her second husband and moved to Laurel, DE.
    She was born January 14, 1913 and passed away April 9, 2006 at the age of 93.

Harris and Estella had 2 sons one was named Edward Boyce who passed away on June 21, 2003 at the age of 69 and a son named Jacob W. Boyce also of Boyce Road in Seaford. He still resides on that road.

I located the obituarys for Estella, her second husband and also her son Edward... neither of those mentioned a daughter or adopted daughter, a sister, step daughter. I had heard there was some friction after my birth and she had moved so, I don't know if that's why she wasen't listed in them or not. I have tried to located the Obituary for Harris W. Boyce with the hopes he would have a daughter by the name of Joyce (and her maiden name) so I would have more information to search with.

I was born on November 26, 1984 and was adopted from a Catholic Social Services of Maryland in Baltimore. I was in the orphanage until February of 1985 (approx 3 months)

At the time of my birth my birth mother was 5'6 with blondish/red hair and green eyes. She was also in her school band. My birth father was her high school boyfriend ( I don't know any thing more about him other than he was 3 years older than her. So he was 20 at the time of my birth had dark hair and blue eyes.

The few family members of Joyce's that I have been able to talk to have said that she moved away to Connecticut, Maine or Mass. But they believe it was Connecticut and had married but didn't know her last name. They haven't seen her in a few years. The family members were extremely sweet and helpful but they are elderly and couldn't remember many of the details. They did remember Joyce being pregnant with me and that Joyce was also adopted by Harris.

It is extremely important to me to locate them to at least have some medical information about my birth parents especially with me being pregnant myself. I do have a rare blood disorder... I'm not sure if its hereditary or not but its called ITT Idiopathic thrombocytopenia tepera.

Thank you so much for your time and help. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

May 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
    I forgot to mention. Joyce Ann Boyce graduated from Seaford Senior High School in Seaford, Delaware in 1985.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LL2009 View Post
    I do have a rare blood disorder....I'm not sure if its hereditary or not but its called ITT Idiopathic thrombocytopenia tepera.
    I'm sorry I can't help you with the search, but on a medical note...

Are you sure that you don't have ITP Ideopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura? While most consider it of a non-genetic nature, there are rare cases in which it is genetic. Passed generally from mother to daughter. It is a clotting disorder similar in nature to hemophelia, however, hemophelia usually only affects boys, where ITP usually affects girls.

From my experience with this disorder, you are very lucky to be pregnant. Congratulations.
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LL2009 View Post
    I forgot to mention. Joyce Ann Boyce graduated from Seaford Senior High School in Seaford, Delaware in 1985.
    Have you searched Classmates.com ?
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 04:28 PM
    <threads merged>

May 18, 2009, 04:52 PM

Yes I have searched classmates.com she's not registered on there. I also tracked down a few people that I found in the year book that graduated the same year. They have all said they haven't heard anything about her but would contact me if they happen to hear from other classmates that they would ask around.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

May 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
    According to records there is a Harris W. Boyce (age 97) who currently resides in Seaford, DE.

May 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
    I talked to his son Jacob Boyce and also his sister, unfortunately he passed away in 1997 at the age of 86. They even told me which cemetery he was buried at.
    Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:51 AM

Have you tried GOING to DE to look this up?

The library may have copies of her high school yearbook, and even if they don't, the high school will.

I do want to point out that since your birthmother was adopted as well, and adopted at a time that 99% of adoptions were completely closed, that you are only going to get ONE generation of medical information from her.

I find it very hard to believe that the rest of her family has absolutely no contact with her--or that they could not provide medical information to you.

Someone is protecting someone else here, and someone is definitely hiding information.

May 19, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Thank you for your reply. I no longer live in Delaware which makes it more difficult to do things in person. I have seen a 1985 Seaford yearbook, she was pregnant in her senior picture. I do understand that's its only one generation of medical information but it would also feel wonderful to be able to possibly find out my fathers name if I did locate her if only to see a picture of him... I know it may sound dumb but it would be nice to know. I have wondered myself if she is being protected. But according to the 2 family members I have talked to after she gave me up for adoption she went through a bad spell and moved away. His words were "she went wild" and "no one could control her" They made it seem as thou she broke most contact. These family members are also in their late 70's and 80's when I speak to them they get very concused. They said they haden't seen her in 3 years (which would be about the time of her adopted mothers funeral according to the obituary). It's just very fustrating. If you have anymore suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you.
    Expert

May 19, 2009, 07:17 AM

Have you checked with the adoption agency and courthouse in the county where you were born/adopted? While they can't release records, they may be able to give you non-identifying medical information. At least, some states have given birthparents that do not want to be found the option to file that information in case a child comes looking. Many courthouses and adoption agencies are also willing to store YOUR contact information, to be given to your birthparents on their request. They may have done the same--put their contact information at one of those places and hoped you would look.

Also, have you registered at reunion websites? Your birthmother is not so old that she wouldn't be connected on the web, and if she wants to be found, she may be registering too.

I can understand her "wild time" where "no one could control her". It's part of the grieving process that many birthmothers go through after the loss of their child. Please remember that if she has finally come to terms with her grief, she may not wish to have contact with you.
    gingerle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
    According to a people finder database I have,

Boyce, Joyce

IN 2006, RESIDED AT:

Hartford, Hartford County, CT, USA, 06005
    Ph 203-285-8975

Worth a shot maybe...

May 28, 2009, 04:29 PM

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I located her a few nights ago and actually spoke to her on the phone. It was hard to find her because she has been married twice. I have a brother and 2 sisters that I never knew I had. I was able to get medical information from her and my birth fathers name although he is deceased now. He passed away 2 years after I was born. It's a good feeling to know a little bit about my birth parents and to know I have a lot of family out there that I never knew existed. Some aunts, grandparents and cousins. I'm very grateful. Thank you.
    aj2009 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 06:01 AM

Hi,
    I am a family member:-)
    Nice to know your OK, I am sure Joyce was happy to hear from you:-)
    I have a lot of pics of your mom when she was little if you are interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Searching for Birth [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone do a look up for me? I am searching for a April 9, 1965 New Orleans Louisiana newspaper Births.

How do I find someone by their maiden name-adoptive mother? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you find someone by their maiden name in Virginia?

Maiden name and birth date only! [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to go about trying to find my aunt that I have never meet. All I have is her maiden name, and date of birth I have not one bit more of information. Is the impossible? Chris

View more questions Search