Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    playball Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Tax implication on house transfer to son who takes care of Dad
    I live in Ohio, we have taken care of my father-in-law in his house for the past 4 years. We have been advised that the house may be transferred to my husband because we have kept him from a nursing home. He has Alzhiemer's disease. If we transfer the house will there be any taxes we have to pay either this year or later?
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 17, 2009, 08:03 PM

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but having lived through a similar situation, I'm wondering if your point is that as long as your father-in-law owns the home, there are complications in getting care for him. If you can clarify, I think I can help you better. Also, a key point would be: is your husband the sole heir, or are there siblings who have an interest.

Beyond that, by transfer the house, I assume that you mean "gift" it from your father-in-law to your husband. Assuming that your husband has the legal power of attorney to do that, there are a number of issues there taxwise, but IRS Pub 709 applies. Look at it and see how it applies to your situation. At least that should get you closer and you could post more specific questions if you have any.
    playball Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
    In the state of Ohio, if you resided in the house of the parent and are the primary caregiver of your parent for more than two years (keeping them out of nursing home) the house may be transferred to that child. Medicaid, medicare accept this even with a 5 year look back.

We have received no compensation for taking care of FIL for 4 years. We would like to transfer the house with the help of our lawyer. He says on next years taxes we have to claim it. Does this come with some sort of tax that we will have to pay?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 18, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by playball View Post
    ... Does this come with some sort of tax that we will have to pay?
    Gift tax. But there is an exemption: "A lifetime gifting limit of $1,000,000 (gifts above the annual exclusions) is allowed before a gift tax is incurred.:
    Gift tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if the house is not worth more than $1,000,000 It doesn't look like there is cause for concern.

You should also see if Ohio has a gift tax that applies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer mortgage from house to house [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Alberta, Canada. Ineed to move within provence but do not wish to get into shopping for a new mortgage for the next house. Can I transfer my current mortgage to another property?:confused:

What is a spirit that takes the form of someone living in the house [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering why they do this we used to have one that lived in our old house that took on my appearance and my mother and father would always see it then got the house blessed andit went away until we moved into a new house and they started seeing it again got the house blessed and it went...

Dad takes care of his mother, credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

My grandmother is 97, she lives with my Dad and he takes care of her. He is retired and only receives SSI and a pension. He is an authorized user on her credit cards and uses them sometimes for her healthcare etc. Upon her death would he be responsible for the credit cards. She has no estate,...

Heating furnace takes too long to heat house [ 1 Answers ]

I have a super saver carrier furnace about 10 years old and the flame comes on perfectly but the flame goes out in about 5 minutes although the thermostat is still calling for heat. It takes a long time for the house to heat. I have cleaned the sensors for the firebox and in the fan inducer on the...

She takes house of market [ 2 Answers ]

Ive curretnly left my wife after 26yrs of marriage. I pay the mortgage although her name on deeds.. She won't sell and Im in digs I can't pay for both what are my legal rights to share 50/50?:)

View more questions Search