Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jami72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Judgment laws from a vehicle reposession
    I live in Florida and own a small business, due to the economy I had to turn in a vehicle that was in my name only. I am married and all bank accounts are in both are names including my business account. My wife gets a check but our accountant gives her a 1099 and I do not receive a paycheck, if there is a check made to me its repayment for the money my wife and & I loaned the company to start it. The finance company that owns the vehicle would not work with us regarding reducing the payment for us before we turned it over. They sold it at private auction. They sent us papers that said the deficiency calculation was $ 28,900.91. Then the next set of papers we received was that $29,043.78 was being reported on my credit as a charge off. Then we got a settlement offer of $14,472.17 that they wanted in 20 days in full. We are just getting by right now, I've lost over 36,000 a year in business since 1-2008. So my questions is now that they have sent this to a collection agency and they said that within 30 days they will file a judgement. What can they do since I don't get a check myself. I was told that once a judgement is filed it is too late to file bankrupts on it, is that true? I don't want to file if I don't have to, I have good credit with other credit card companies and so does my business. I just don't have any extra money to make payments.

Thanks for any help you can give
    Jami
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hello J:

Once they get a judgment, they'll be able to seize ANY account with your name on it... Plus, the'll add all sorts of legal fees to an already inflated number.

If you can get some CASH to negotiate with them, you'll probably get off for a great deal LESS than the $14K they were talking about.

Plus, a judgment will make all the other credit card rates jump, however the congress is doing something about that right now.

excon
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 17, 2009, 01:38 PM
    excon is right (can't agree above, need to spread it around)

Too many people think the judgement is the end of the problem defining what they owe. This is really just the beginning as legal fees and charges keep getting added over time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vehicle Reposession in because [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, this is the situation. I kind of know the answer, but I would appreciate a confirmation. I had a vehicle when I was married. When I left my husband, I couldn't afford it anymore so I had to return it in the middle of my finance contract. Please note that this is NOT a lease, but a...

Laws on vehicle repossession in Illinois. [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin had her car repossessed April 18th of 2007 (she is going through a divorce and is having financial problems of a result. The bank still hasn't sent a notice through the mail as to when the car will be resold (which from what I understand the bank legally has to do that, along with the...

Reposession laws confusing [ 8 Answers ]

My husband purchased a car in one state, then registered in another state, but lives in a different state. He needs them to pick up his car (not working), which law should he be concerened about for which state?

Vehicle search laws when someone is on probation [ 1 Answers ]

Can my vehicle be searched in California, if I am pulled over and someone is on parol or probation in my vehicle? Even if I am not??

What are the laws on motor vehicle theft in Kentucky? [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a research project in sociology for school about the different kinds of crime and how they are delt with in Kentucky. I got the topic of motor vehicle theft or grand theft auto and I need to know the laws on what happens in Kentucky if this crime is committed.:)

View more questions Search