Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beautifulove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Jammed thumb bad, did I chip the tip on the bone? Painful when press
    I was playing basketball and Jammed my thumb really bad with the ball. Didn't think it was a big deal and kept playing on it. Now its 9 days later and the pain is still there, the thumb still look like its been jammed and is still swell up. The 3 day after the jammed, it was hard for me to button my shirt, but now its not so bad, its just the tip of my thumb hurt really bad when I use pressure against it. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt at all. I was wondering if I have a chip bone or with rest it would heal. Cause usually a jammed finger goes away in 3 days, and this one hasn't. Should I get it x-ray or let it heal.
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

May 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
    This is the standard treatment for a non-broken finger or toe.
    1. Assess the movement in your injured finger or toe. If you can't move it or if it's too painful to move, it may be broken. See a physician.
    2. Ice the injury immediately to reduce pain and swelling.
    3. Continue to apply ice for 20 minutes of every hour until the pain and swelling begin to subside.
    4. Immobilize the finger or toe using a splint or bandage.
    5. Limit walking if it causes pain to the toe, and/or wear shoes that don't put pressure on it.
    6. Use anti-inflammatory agents such as ibuprofen.
    7. Begin using the digit again as soon as pain and swelling subside.
    I would suggest having your thumb looked at by a physician as soon as possible to be on the safe side.
    graphitehome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
    If it's a very sharp pain under the nail, you may have a subungual hematoma, or blood or fluid otherwise collecting in the tissue under the nail. When you apply pressure, it causes intense pain on the nerves in the nail bed. This happened to me several times and I know it can be excruciatingly painful. Feels like it's broken, but it probably isn't. Don't use the tip of your finger until it heals or the swelling goes down. This is an aside, and may not be applicable, but when I had a broken finger tip, the pain was very different. Hyper-sensitive to any movement at all, not just pressure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jacuzzi motor jammed [ 3 Answers ]

I have the same problem, the motor just hums. Yes the BUILDER (not me) tiled over it and we have no access. We're going to have to break tile aren't we? It's an American Standard tub with an Ultra Jet WOW pump.

Two Discs Jammed in DVD [ 3 Answers ]

O.K... I messed up. :o I put a disc in my Apex DVD player, not realizing (in time) that there was already a disc in the player. I now have two discs in the player, and of course the drive won't open. I've taken the cover off the player, and the discs (plural) appear readily accessible; however,...

Disposal Jammed and just stopped! [ 2 Answers ]

I was grinding up radishes when my disposal literally stopped because I think the radishes jammed it. The outlet still has power - I used the allen wrench and the blades are moving and all debris is out of the unit - still nothing... Any suggestions? Thank you

Jacuzzi motor jammed [ 2 Answers ]

I need some direction on this. I am helping a friend with their jacuzzi. When you turn on the motor it just hums. Is it because the water ports are jammed or plugged? Right now the side is tiled and unable to access and do not want to proceed without a good plan. Any guidance would be most...

View more questions Search