Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mukluk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Sony DVD player/VCR no TV tuner- how to record live TV
    Hi, I have a Sony DVD player/Video Cassette Recorder (model SLV-D281P). It does not have a TV tuner built in.

Per the directions in order to record live TV "The DVD-VCR cannot record programs if you have a cable box without audio/video outputs, cable with no cable box, antenna only (no cable TV)."

I have the second situation, cable with no cable box. Any advice on what I can do to record live TV? At present the cable runs from the wall in to the TV. Can I add a cable box? If so where would I find one that would work. I can't contact the cable company about this issue. I am disappointed that they do not include a TV tuner built into the DVD/VCR player.
    Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the topic.
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 16, 2009, 09:44 PM

Many of the digital to analog converters eligible for the US coupon program have composite video and stereo audio outputs that are compatible with most VCR (and DVD player/VCR combination) composite video and stereo inputs. You can connect the RF input of the converter to an antenna. Reception varies depending on receiving antenna type, broadcaster distance, transmitter power and terrain between the broadcast tower and your location. IF you are close enough and the building structure and other nearby objects don't obstruct the signals you might even be able to use an indoor antenna.

Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) online antenna selection adviser at AntennaWeb

Many cable companies offer rental converters for a quite modest monthly rental fee added to the charge for their basic (or economy) programming tier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony dvp-cx995v multi-disc dvd player cannot read disk [ 22 Answers ]

I have two Sony dvp-cx995v multi-disc dvd players and both Give the error message "cannot read disk". One has been working For about a year and the other for 3 months. Now they both just give This error message for all DVD's Has anyone had this experience? Thanks

VCR/DVD recorder with tuner hookup to record from TV. [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hook up a combination, vcr/dvd recorder, digital with tuner, so that it will record programs from the TV? That is record to the VCR. I have Basic Cable coming into the house.

Sony Hmp-A8 MP 4 player [ 1 Answers ]

My brother purchased this device in China for me. I was attempting to load information from a CD onto this device. I believe the information transferred into the player but I cannot find it now. Would you please tell me the correct method to accomplish this task? Thank you.

Sony DVD player stops picture, then starts again [ 1 Answers ]

My Sony DVD/VCR player has suddenly started stopping the action for several seconds, then starting again. What's going on? Do I need a new player?

View more questions Search