Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprucer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 02:25 AM
    Clearing an air lock
    Hi
    Ive just installed a new shower and I`m assuming I have an air lock as when I`ve turned on the water supply to the shower;no water! All other taps are workingok. What is the best way to get the water flowing again? Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2009, 03:46 AM
    No air lock for sure... ;)

Either the shutoffs to the shower are not turned on or there is a clog in the shower valve or the shower head... or you melted something when you soldered this together.

If you look behind the face plate of the shower valve you may see some slotted screw heads on the shower valve itself. These slotted screws are integral shutoffs... insert flathead screwdriver and rotate these COUNTERCLOCKWISE to open them fully. Now re-install the face plate and try the shower... how'd that work?

If no slotted screws then check behind the shower for an access panel or go down to the basement to see if any other shutoffs have been shutoff... if so, open them.

If that failed to help then it may be a good idea to remove the shower head, clean the screen inside the shower head (need to remove from shower arm to see the screen) and then turn water on to see if water flows now (shower head still off). If so, clean the screen and re-install head.

Lastly, you may need to shut off the water supply to the house and then remove the internal guts to the shower valve. Once the parts are removed have a friend pulse the water supply on/off a couple times (you have a towel over the valve body to collect debris) to clear the lines of sediment. Then, once water confirmed flowing re-install the guts and turn the water supply back on and try the shower valve out. If any sink aerators get clogged then remove them by spinning them CLOCKWISE and clean the screens there... ;)

Let me know what happens... O.K.

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2009, 11:02 AM

Yep, as Mark said: it is most-like dirt in shower head filter screen or in side flow reducer. Remove shower head, clean it under running water, reinstall - and you should be back in business.
    sprucer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Hi
    Thanks for the help. Took shower head off and gave it a good clean. Hey Presto! Running water! :) Thanks again
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 18, 2009, 03:39 AM
    Thanks for the update~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Clearing account [ 3 Answers ]

New to accounting... what is a cash clearing account. What is it used for in conjunction with an accounts receivable accounts:(

Clearing Clogged Ear [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All! My name is Mhar. I would like to ask what should I do to clear my clogged right ear? It has been 5 days now and I cannot hear well. I hear ringing inside. I am worried and uncomfortable. Please help me. I don't know what to do now.

What to do in Clearing, when I've got my results [ 1 Answers ]

When I get my results in August Because I don't have a placement at any of the unis I'm automatically put into clearing Basically What do I do on the day? I get my results, and then what? Call up the unis and say, "ive got these grades can i come to your uni?" I'm mega confused on what to do...

Clearing immigration [ 2 Answers ]

I asked a previous question in regards to clearing immigration in UK with a US bench warrant. I did not get solid answer. My friend cleared immigration in the caribbean without any thing coming up so do any of you think he will be able to make it to the UK.

Clearing old data [ 4 Answers ]

When filling out forms for contests etc. My PC recalls previously entered email addresses when clicking in the email field. Is there a way to remove old or inaccurate email entries that drop down in the field. Xp home

View more questions Search