Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Probiotic yogurt
    I work in a grocery store and people are always asking "Do you have any probiotic yogurt?" I'd always thought that the cultures in yogurt made it probiotic but lately I've been hearing a lot of people say that if it doesn't specifically say "probiotic" (like that activia yogurt and stuff) that it means its not probiotic. So now I'm wondering if I've been wrong all along or what? Since most if not all yogurt is cultured is it the different cultures in it that make one distinct from another?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 05:03 AM

The sugar and additives make most yogurts not really probiotic even when they advertise probiotic.
    Stonyfield Farm is probiotic and any yogurt that says organic is probiotic.
    Basically the sugar in sweetened yogurt counteracts the benefits of the probiotics it may contain.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 16, 2009, 08:12 AM
    According to WHO, probiotics are "live microorganisms, which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host."

Many brands of yogurt claim to have live, active cultures. I believe the difference between them and the ones labeled probiotic is the amount of active cultures in the product. Probiotic yogurt contains enough to have a health benefit rather than only an advertising benefit.

Check out the following link for more information.

USProbiotics.org
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 10:09 AM

OK. That makes more sense now.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 04:41 PM

Probiotic are live microorganism which provide a lot of health benefits. Basically they are supplements of live bacteria or yeast. The healthiest yogurt will contain active/live cultures. So check the labels it will state that"Live/active cultures", To learn what specific active cultures your yogurt contain, again ck. The label, such as L.bulgaricus, bififobacterium, S. thermophilus, or the more popular/common one bififus regularis.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 09:52 AM

So now you're saying that there just has to be live cultures? Does that mean that which cultures or the amount of cultures present doesn't matter?
    Rushed19 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 12:23 AM

Yes all yogurt is different, the best yogurt is full fat plain organic yogurt! The more sugar the less beneficial, however I do like the activia bifidus regularis, I think they use fructose vs. refined sugar which doesn't cause the body to produce insulin so diabetics can have it, but check the label before directing anyone over there!
    peanut99 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

I am a diet tech @ a hospital... if it says LIVE active cultures - the ? How much is put into each yogurt? & the FDA does not have to regulate HOW MUCH. I have heard that the Stoneyfield farm yogurt actually specifies HOW much so that is a good one... other than that choose ones w/ less sugar & you will get greater benefits. Obviously, natural yogurt (organic) is better BUT eating yogurt in general is good for your health. Add fiber to a probiotic (like BENEFIBER) & you will get the added benefit because fiber feeds on probiotics :) Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yogurt making [ 8 Answers ]

Hi!  I found myself an unused Braun yogurt maker at a yard sale but it didn't have the instructions with it.I'just can't wait to make some yogurt but have no idea how to use the machine.Do I add water to where the cups sit?How long do I keep it on for?ETC I have searched the net for the...

Repair thermostat in Salton Yogurt maker [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if it might be possible to repair (replace?) the termostat in a vintage Salton Yogurt maker. I know nothing about this but see screws in the bottom of the appliance

Yogurt: protecting its live active cultures [ 1 Answers ]

Can plain low fat yogurt be frozen until its expiration date? I like to do my food preparation for a week or two in advance and then freeze it in freezer bags. Thank you :) Jim Johnson

Yogurt for Diarrhea? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm new to this site, but after some reading, I've bookmarked it because I think it's going to be a VERY useful tool. I live on an acreage with a few "outside" cats. But just under 2 weeks ago I found a kitten with three legs in a bush near our house. So, we now have an "inside" cat. Not...

View more questions Search